Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a TC Omega last year and just got around to putting a scope on it today. Arrived at the range today and shot it about 5 times at 25yds and got it close enough to shoot out to 50. After hitting 4 times in about a 4inch group moved it out to 100yds. Here is whats got me wondering. At 100 I could never get it to group at all. It would shoot in about a 10inch target but no better. Any possibility at this point my barrel has became to fouled up with corrosion to hit consistant? It was filthy when I got home and cleaned it. Never had much luck getting a muzzleloader very consistant but expected better out of this Omega.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Cleaning the bore is an unavoidable chore if you want to shoot straight. I use an aluminum ramrod with a cleaning jag on it for shooting; everytime that ramrod goes down the bore it has a patch on it pre-lubed with bore butter.

By swabbing the bore every shot, it keeps the fouling soft and easy to remove. If I go more than three or four shots without running a wet patch down the barrel, the accuracy goes out the window.

Also try experimenting with different charge weights and bullets. Some front stuffers are picky about what they like to shoot. It could take some time to work up a load that shoots accurately, but it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a bore snake for it just thought it would go a few more rounds without issues. Guess next week I need to carry it along with a breech plug wrench. I am using 100gr of Pyrodex pellots and 250gr shockwaves. Any opinions or suggestions. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I bought a bore snake for it just thought it would go a few more rounds without issues. Guess next week I need to carry it along with a breech plug wrench. I am using 100gr of Pyrodex pellots and 250gr shockwaves. Any opinions or suggestions. Thanks guys.
May want to try Triple 7 pellets, they are not as bad as the pyrodex, but your still going to have to clean it after a couple of rounds (it will clean up a little easier than pryodex also). Might as well be prepared to pull the plug out and clean it pretty good while at the range.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May want to try Triple 7 pellets, they are not as bad as the pyrodex, but your still going to have to clean it after a couple of rounds (it will clean up a little easier than pryodex also). Might as well be prepared to pull the plug out and clean it pretty good while at the range.
Thats what Im thinking to. Be worth the trouble to know its dead on come hunting season.

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
I'll go along with the fouled bore crowd, too. I clean my bore after every shot. I want it in the same condition that it will be in when I am hunting.

If that doesn't help, you might try a different bullet. Seems like we had someone on here just last week complaining of poor performance with the 250 grain shockwaves.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,582 Posts
I bought a bore snake for it just thought it would go a few more rounds without issues. Thanks guys.
You be better off wth patches that bore snake will look like something that came out the south end of a northbound mule...and so will your hands if you use it. With patches the worst is you'll get two fingers dirty. Take bore butter and maybe a spraycan of bore blaster, but patches and a jag are best.:wink: And try turning your scope up to 9x:up:

·
Registered
647 Posts
You should be looking for an increase in accuracy at 50 yards. If you are spraying them over 4 inches at 50, that would easyily be 8-10 at 100 yards.

The longer the distance the more the bullet moves. Just like playing with high powered scopes. On 3 power I can hold the rifle steady free hand, but on 24 power I need a rest to keep it on target.

Get the barrel clean and keep it clean, you will see a vast improvment!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I just got a new Omega and some various new bullets to try. It wouldn't group the 240gr bullets well at all. The 260s did a little better. I shot 2 3-shot groups in the 2"@100yrd neighborhood with my 300gr bullets, so I'm sticking with them. The others may do better with a different powder charge, but I only had 1 dozen of each, so I tried them all with 100gr of Pyrodex RS. Since the 300gr pills do so well I'm sticking with them. I may play with the powder charge some to see how much more velocity I can get without sacrificing accuracy, but I'm happy for now. So...try some 300gr bullets and see what they do for ya. That (and swabbing between shots) may fix you right up!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got a new Omega and some various new bullets to try. It wouldn't group the 240gr bullets well at all. The 260s did a little better. I shot 2 3-shot groups in the 2"@100yrd neighborhood with my 300gr bullets, so I'm sticking with them. The others may do better with a different powder charge, but I only had 1 dozen of each, so I tried them all with 100gr of Pyrodex RS. Since the 300gr pills do so well I'm sticking with them. I may play with the powder charge some to see how much more velocity I can get without sacrificing accuracy, but I'm happy for now. So...try some 300gr bullets and see what they do for ya. That (and swabbing between shots) may fix you right up!
Id be happy with 2 inch groups for sure. I will grab some new bullets and keep it clean next trip.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Sounds like you shot 8 to 10 shots without cleaning. This will have an effect on accuracy but from a qaulity gun such as Thompson, Knight etc it should not have the kind of effect you are talking about. Clean the barrel very well, swab between shots (rubbing alcohol works great between shots) try some Knight 300 grain red hots with 150 grains of 777 or Pyrodex.I suspect there is something else going on though. I would take the scope off and double check the screws in the bases, use blue lock tight on all screws. Check the whole gun to make double sure there is not a screw, bolt etc loose somwhere. And last but not least try another scope just to make sure. If I could not figure it out I would contact T/C. Don't just settle for mediocre performance, that gun should do way better than that. I hope you get it figured out and good luck.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i did shoot 150 grains of pyrodex for several years then switched to 777..flyers always been a problem. i solved it by dropping to 100 grains and using barnes 250 tmz bullets. first at 25 yrds i get all my shots in same hole 1 inch high and on center vertical line. then i move to 50 yrds and hit 2 inches high and 2 out of 3 in same hole..always swab after every shot when sighting in.:up:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Well , first off , I hate to hear john say that about the bore snake ... as I have been using a bore snake for 3 years without any problems or big messes.... and it keeps the bore clean. I use a foaming bore cleaner, and then run the snake and it works like a charm. And you can wash and dry the snake periodically to keep it from getting nasty over time.

Next, I highly recommend using Remington Kleen Bore Primers ... they have less fouling ... period.

I have tried several types of powder and pellets. I will never go back to pellets... I have found loose powder to be much more consistant and accurate. You also have to be very careful not to crush any of the pellets , or it will affect burn rates and accuracy. And in being that careful, you also may not be seating the bullets consistantly every time. That too will affect accuracy. That means to me that pellets are much more problematic than loose powder. I have also swapped to 777 powder. It builds more pressure with less powder than pyrodex. That means that you can use 100 gr. of pyrodex or 90 gr. of 777 with the same results, and that means less cost , powder , fouling and clean up.

I shoot light ( 174 gr. ) powerbelt bullets in my CVA. The higher velocity shoots flatter and more accurately. Some folks don't like powerbelts, but I love them. They are very accurate for me, and thay have performed great on my deer. But all guns are not the same and they don't all like the same bullets or loads... You just have to try some different things and see what works for you.

Unless you plan on shooting 150-200 yards, there is no reason to even try 150 gr. of powder. It is unnecessary. I am using 93 gr. of loose 777 with that 174 gr. powerbelt aerotip bullet , and the kleenbore primer. It is a very good load in my gun. Very accurate and has dropped my bucks within 20 yards every time.

I too believe your issues stem from poor cleaning / fouling. Be sure to clean consistantly, and get each load as standardized as possible.

Hope this helps.

MET

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
My brother has the T/C Omega and he is shooting the 295gr. CVA PowerBelts out of his right now and getting pretty good groups at 100 yds with (2) 50 gr. 777 pellets in it. Might consider trying these. I have an Encore and shoot the same as he does and i am very, very happy at 100 yds. I usually don't clean mine till about the fourth shot and can't tell much difference in performance. When it is about to kill me getting the bullet down the barrel i will swab it.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I read a lot about 1" groups with a ML and shooting out to 250 yards and it may be true. But Ive never actually seen either. Ive had a muzzleloader (several of them) since 1986 and accuracy has been mediocre at best with most all of them. Im not saying it isnt possible to achieve good results but most of the people Ive hunted with just grab a box of bullets and powder and go hunting. Many rarely ever swab the barrel after season much less between shots. Ive cleaned and swabbed religiously and tinkered with different bullets only to realize that my Muzzleloaders arent benchrest rifles. I have one that shoots in the 2" range consistently at 100 yards and the rest in the 4-8" range at the same distance. All have killed multiple deer and are sufficiently accurate for me, however.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.