Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So new to muzzleloaders. I got a CVA Wolf. I’m worried that I will mess something up by not cleaning it properly or enough. Seeing what everyone process and routines are after shooting them. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
34,600 Posts
Car wash..Hot soapy water..Oil her up good..
Ready to go..
Check with Ramrod to make sure you didn't leave it loaded..After a Hunt!!
Good Hunting..My Favorite Deer Hunting Rifle..
Don't even shot my Deer Rifles anymore..
Shoot my Muzzleloaders.
Good Hunting..

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have a little jar with breech plug cleaner in it and soak the breech plug while I run patches with bore cleaner on them down the barrel. I do this until the patch comes out clean then I clean the breech area with bore cleaning patches. Once I am done with the cleaning patches I will run a dry patch through the barrel and then I use a seasoning patch. I will run the seasoning patch down the barrel multiple times. I then take the breech plug and use a little cleaning brush on it and then take it to the sink and run hot water over it. Once I run the hot water over it i blow air through it to make sure i have all the moisture out and dry it completely off. I then use breech plug grease and put the breech plug back. One thing that I make sure to do before I load it again is to run a primer through it to be 100% certain it is dry and can fire. I typically put a dry cleaning patch on the ram rod down the barrel when I do this. When you remove the ram rod the cleaning patch should have a small hole basically burnt through it. You then know that it will fire and there is no moisture or anything in it before loading it.

·
Grand Member
16,335 Posts
If shooting Blackhorn 209 don't use soap and water, clean like you would a modern rifle with smokeless powder. I use Hoppies #9 or most often Windex with ammonia in it. Soap and hot water are great on black powder or substitutes like Pyrodex and 777, but Blackhorn is made like smokeless powder and has to be cleaned with a solvent.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If shooting Blackhorn 209 don't use soap and water, clean like you would a modern rifle with smokeless powder. I use Hoppies #9 or most often Windex with ammonia in it. Soap and hot water are great on black powder or substitutes like Pyrodex and 777, but Blackhorn is made like smokeless powder and have to be cleaned with a solvent.
Yes I forgot to mention that I use Pyrodex and 777

·
Registered
7 Posts
Clean after every shot if you want it to be a tack driver. Anti seize breach plug. If you use the bore cleaner etc etc for black powder it’s very easy to keep the barrel very bright and shines inside. Very important to get all moisture out of barrel and plug. I do this with patches and when get done I load it with loose powder and set it over night. The next morning I pour out the loose powder and snap a cap thru it. Never had a misfire. Pay extra attention to breech plug because that’s where all the magic happens. Make sure can see thru it etc etc etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I hunt with a Knight disc rifle. After some trial and error, I really think the best way to clean them is with hot soapy water using dawn dishwashing soap. I've tried regular bore cleaners, etc but good old hot soapy water really works - and by hot, I mean steaming hot. I use a bore brush and a rag and am sure to get the bore good and soapy (keeping the end of the muzzle loader in the bucket, pulling the rag back and forth), then I'll run a few dry rags through it until the bore is clean and dry. I usually wait a day (but you don't have to) then run a rag of break free or something like that through it then finish it up with a coating of Thompson's bore butter (it season's the bore like seasoning a cast iron skillet).

I clean the breach plug about the same way and always use anti-seize grease on them when I put it back in. When cleaning the hole, I have an acetylene welding tip cleaner - works great and you can pick them up at any welding shop (just don't file out the hole larger). You could always straighten out a paperclip and do the same thing.

When sighting in, like others have said, cleaning between shots is a good idea to increase accuracy.

NEVER and I mean NEVER!!! Dry fire your muzzle loader with a cap in it before you go hunting to make sure your breech plug is good to go!!! Did I say NEVER?!?!? If you cleaned it, and made sure the breech plug hole is clean, it's good. Why? Let me tell you...

I know a guy (it wasn't me)...was getting ready to go hunting the next morning...grabbed his muzzle loader and thought "I need to dry fire this thing to make sure it's good to go..."...put a cap on it and pulled the trigger...did I mention he was in his house...in his basement?!?!?! Well, you know where this is going...unknown to him, his son had used it during the Christmas hunt or whatever and didn't unload or clean it...he said it is amazing how loud and how much smoke a ML can be in a confined space like that! lol! He said the smoke alarm was screaming, wife yelling and the dog a running for his life! Luckily, no-one was hurt and, other than a broken tile and a dent in the floor, everyone was OK. He got lucky and we can all laugh about it now...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I shoot my muzzleloader a few times a year, it’s a lot of effort to clean for such little use. And I don’t want to fool with a car wash, bucket of water and all that nonsense.
So, I bought these patches that you can find at Academy, Bass Pro or some other places.
Liquid Camera accessory Camera lens Lens Cameras & optics

I will use these patches and a bore brush and alternate between the two until it comes out clean. Finish with a lightly oiled patch then a dry patch and you’re good.
You can use those patches to clean the breach plug and threads too. Put some anti-seize lube on the threads and you’re good to go.
(This is for my CVA Wolf and won’t work for the older style muzzleloaders without a removable breach plug)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I shoot my muzzleloader a few times a year, it’s a lot of effort to clean for such little use. And I don’t want to fool with a car wash, bucket of water and all that nonsense.
So, I bought these patches that you can find at Academy, Bass Pro or some other places.
View attachment 373358
I will use these patches and a bore brush and alternate between the two until it comes out clean. Finish with a lightly oiled patch then a dry patch and you’re good.
You can use those patches to clean the breach plug and threads too. Put some anti-seize lube on the threads and you’re good to go.
(This is for my CVA Wolf and won’t work for the older style muzzleloaders without a removable breach plug)
This is what I do

·
Administrator
90,036 Posts
I hunt with a Knight disc rifle. After some trial and error, I really think the best way to clean them is with hot soapy water using dawn dishwashing soap. I've tried regular bore cleaners, etc but good old hot soapy water really works - and by hot, I mean steaming hot. I use a bore brush and a rag and am sure to get the bore good and soapy (keeping the end of the muzzle loader in the bucket, pulling the rag back and forth), then I'll run a few dry rags through it until the bore is clean and dry. I usually wait a day (but you don't have to) then run a rag of break free or something like that through it then finish it up with a coating of Thompson's bore butter (it season's the bore like seasoning a cast iron skillet).

I clean the breach plug about the same way and always use anti-seize grease on them when I put it back in. When cleaning the hole, I have an acetylene welding tip cleaner - works great and you can pick them up at any welding shop (just don't file out the hole larger). You could always straighten out a paperclip and do the same thing.

When sighting in, like others have said, cleaning between shots is a good idea to increase accuracy.

NEVER and I mean NEVER!!! Dry fire your muzzle loader with a cap in it before you go hunting to make sure your breech plug is good to go!!! Did I say NEVER?!?!? If you cleaned it, and made sure the breech plug hole is clean, it's good. Why? Let me tell you...

I know a guy (it wasn't me)...was getting ready to go hunting the next morning...grabbed his muzzle loader and thought "I need to dry fire this thing to make sure it's good to go..."...put a cap on it and pulled the trigger...did I mention he was in his house...in his basement?!?!?! Well, you know where this is going...unknown to him, his son had used it during the Christmas hunt or whatever and didn't unload or clean it...he said it is amazing how loud and how much smoke a ML can be in a confined space like that! lol! He said the smoke alarm was screaming, wife yelling and the dog a running for his life! Luckily, no-one was hurt and, other than a broken tile and a dent in the floor, everyone was OK. He got lucky and we can all laugh about it now...
A properly marked ramrod eliminates stupid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts