Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Grand Member
13,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How far have you shot the cva?
At 400 yards I can hit an 8" bullseye, off a good rest. I've got a 3-15X50 Minox ZA5 scope on it, I weigh every load of powder on a scale and shoot nothing but the Powerbelt ELR .45 caliber bullets that were made for this gun. 100 grains by weight is equal to 140 grains of Blackhorn by volume. The gun and scope weigh over 10 pounds and it still kicks pretty good, but it does shoot good.

One thing I've learned with this gun is I'll never volume measure a charge of loose powder again. When I bought it the manuel recommended weighing the powder. I very carefully measured out 10 loads of Blackhorn 209 powder out with what I thought was a very accurate volume powder measure. I then weighed, because there was no way I was going to all the trouble of weighing out evey load on a set of scales when there couldn't be that much of a difference in accuracy. I was wrong, the variation stunned me. There was 8 grains between the lightest load and the heavest loads.

This is what I have taped to the stock.
Handwriting Font Gas Electronic device Number

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
I usually look forward to ML but this year with it being hot I haven't hunted with the bow much at all yet. So I'll be sorely tempted to sit in the tree Saturday morning with that bow. (Which means of course the buck of a lifetime will stroll by just out of my bow range)

·
Premium Member
20,472 Posts
I usually look forward to ML but this year with it being hot I haven't hunted with the bow much at all yet. So I'll be sorely tempted to sit in the tree Saturday morning with that bow. (Which means of course the buck of a lifetime will stroll by just out of my bow range)
Suppose to be a little cold front come through for us Friday . In the upper 40’s is what it shows for us Saturday morning. Sure that will change for the worse 10 times by then.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I was ringing a 5" steel at 120 yards last week. I'm as ready as I will ever be. A clear long shot from my favorite ML stand is about 85 yards, hunting in a creek bottom.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ready myself i still enjoy messing with the inline ML getting them ready. I made the switch to smokeless a few years and its so much cleaner and easier. I was looking at those new power belts in the store other day anyone kill anything with them yet ? Just wandering how they preform on game.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ready myself i still enjoy messing with the inline ML getting them ready. I made the switch to smokeless a few years and its so much cleaner and easier. I was looking at those new power belts in the store other day anyone kill anything with them yet ? Just wandering how they preform on game.
Grass Petal Groundcover Grass family Tints and shades

I would say they do pretty good. Heart of a doe I shot a couple years back.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Circle Recreation Font Games Illustration
Checked mine today and it’s ready to go! I shot it a couple of times last week and had to make some adjustments. After my last shot last week, it was still just a little to the right, so I made a slight adjustment and assumed it was good. That bothered me all week, so I shot it today to make sure.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Sam, I have a T/C pro hunter 50 magnum just like that, shoots awesome groups.
Put 3 in a group about the size of a half dollar today at 100yds today.
Thought a 4x12 Leupold was a bit much when I put it on but it was the only scope I had not being used at the time.
Glad I did because the last 3 bucks taken with it were all over 100yds. Love it.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Me too. This will be the first year I’ve muzzleloader hunted in for ever . Bet they wound more than any other weapon.
Allen, you need to spend some of your discretionary income on a better muzzleloader brother.
I’m probably jinxing myself but I have gotten better DRT on deer with a MZ last few years than with my rifles. Now my shots are usually less 100 to 150 yards and I’m shooting 150 grains of pyrodex behind a 250 grain T/C shockwave bullet, but it flat lays em down where they stand

·
Premium Member
20,472 Posts
Allen, you need to spend some of your discretionary income on a better muzzleloader brother.
I’m probably jinxing myself but I have gotten better DRT on deer with a MZ last few years than with my rifles. Now my shots are usually less 100 to 150 yards and I’m shooting 150 grains of pyrodex behind a 250 grain T/C shockwave bullet, but it flat lays em down where they stand
I invested in a new one so I sure hope it’s just me being paranoid. None the less this weather forecast has me pumped

1 - 20 of 37 Posts