Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the Leopold 3x9x40mm Muzzle loader scope. My cva came with a Konus scope on it. But i wanted to upgrade it. I like the nikon. But only fount used one's over 300.00. Who make another good Muzzle Loader scope besides Leopold? I bought a new old stock nikon 3x9x50 buckmaster. But i want bdc for my ml setup like the Konus scope.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have been looking at the Leopold 3x9x40mm Muzzle loader scope. My cva came with a Konus scope on it. But i wanted to upgrade it. I like the nikon. But only fount used one's over 300.00. Who make another good Muzzle Loader scope besides Leopold? I bought a new old stock nikon 3x9x50 buckmaster. But i want bdc for my ml setup like the Konus scope.
Just FYI Nikon doesn’t make scopes anymore. Not sure how they’re gonna stand behind their warranties going forward. Not a concern with Leupolds. The Ultimate Slam scope from Leupold is essentially equivalent to a VX2 series. It’s also available with a FireDot reticle. It has not only settings for BDC, but you can also dial it between 2-pellet and 3-pellet loads. I think it’s designed around a 250gr 50cal bullet with 100-150gr charge weight. It also has a “shotgun” setting. The only other scope I’m aware of with “muzzleloader” in the name is the Vortex crossfire, but it has no magnification for use in states that don’t allow magnified optics. Of course, any higher end optic that won’t get shaken apart from the recoil should work just fine.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told nikon would stand behind there warranty. There not making scopes anymore. But they have people to repair nikon scopes. I like the Leopold Muzzle Loader. I am shooting a 250 gr bullet. If blackhorn keeps going up. I have 3 can 777 powder i can use. I know Hawke scopes mades a 3x9x40 shotgun scope. Also burris 3x9x40 or 4.5x14x40 mite work.

·
Premium Member
34,000 Posts
Cabela's Has some pretty Good Muzzleloader Scopes for the Money..
Konus Scopes are pretty Good or CVA would not put them on their..
Hope you find what you're looking for..
Good Hunting.. Muzzleloader hunting is my Favorite..Hunt..

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Cabela's Has some pretty Good Muzzleloader Scopes for the Money..
Konus Scopes are pretty Good or CVA would not put them on their..
Hope you find what you're looking for..
Good Hunting.. Muzzleloader hunting is my Favorite..Hunt..
CVA owns Konus. They also own PowerBelt bullets. And Bergara barrel factory in Spain. And Quake slings. Fully integrated company.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I am wondering how far you plan to shoot with your muzzleloader. I personally have a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 3x9 with the circle x reticle. I have it zeroed at 100 yards and have killed deer with it out to 200 yards. With the circle x I just use the bottom part of the circle to adjust for farther shots but have practiced to know where the impact would be.

·
Registered
It changes from time to time
6,011 Posts
I know the theoretical reasons why you need a muzzle loader scope (recoil, eye relief, special reticles), but has anyone on this site actually had a decent grade conventional center fire rifle scope fail on a ML?

My ML scopes have always been hand me downs from center fire upgrades and they always worked great. Figured the concept was mostly to get you to buy something you didn't need.

·
Premium Member
34,000 Posts
I know the theoretical reasons why you need a muzzle loader scope (recoil, eye relief, special reticles), but has anyone on this site actually had a decent grade conventional center fire rifle scope fail on a ML?

My ML scopes have always been hand me downs from center fire upgrades and they always worked great. Figured the concept was mostly to get you to buy something you didn't need.
Yes...Would not Adjust up or Down ,Right or left.. Older Tasco Scope 3x9x 32.....CVA Optima Magnum...
Put another 3x9x40 newer Tasco..no problems so far..

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Yes...Would not Adjust up or Down ,Right or left.. Older Tasco Scope 3x9x 32.....CVA Optima Magnum...
Put another 3x9x40 newer Tasco..no problems so far..
Do you consider an older Tasco to be decent quality Jackie? I’ve seen older Tascos that wouldn’t hold a zero on a .22 rimfire. I would consider decent quality to be a mid grade or higher Leupold, Nikon, Burris, Vortex, etc.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought the CVA Optima V2 50 cal Long Range package. I have shot out to 250 yards on paper. The the Konus scope is on at that distance. I like having the BDC crosshairs . I am using max blackhorn and a 250gr sst sabot. I like how the Leopold Muzzle Loader scope is set up. Plus it is very clear looking thru one. I had a Remington ml i shot deer at 200 with it. I shot it enuff i knew where to load on the crosshairs. I had a nikon 3x9x40 scope on it. But with BDC crosshairs would work better for me. Planning on trying the setup out on hogs on hunting club before deer season. Just to get used to the new scope and gun setup. The Konus scope people r starting having issues with them. I haven't yet mine has kept its zero . I have always shot rifle scopes on muzzleloader. I wanted to try a ML scope out. Wouldn't the bdc on regular scope. And one on a muzzleloader scope would be calibrated different?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I bought the CVA Optima V2 50 cal Long Range package. I have shot out to 250 yards on paper. The the Konus scope is on at that distance. I like having the BDC crosshairs . I am using max blackhorn and a 250gr sst sabot. I like how the Leopold Muzzle Loader scope is set up. Plus it is very clear looking thru one. I had a Remington ml i shot deer at 200 with it. I shot it enuff i knew where to load on the crosshairs. I had a nikon 3x9x40 scope on it. But with BDC crosshairs would work better for me. Planning on trying the setup out on hogs on hunting club before deer season. Just to get used to the new scope and gun setup. The Konus scope people r starting having issues with them. I haven't yet mine has kept its zero . I have always shot rifle scopes on muzzleloader. I wanted to try a ML scope out. Wouldn't the bdc on regular scope. And one on a muzzleloader scope would be calibrated different?
I don’t think most scopes are specifically calibrated for the load used. I know with the Nikon, you get online and use a program and enter you bullet speed, BC and it prints out drop chart. The Leupold ML scope is designed around a 250gr bullet with varying power charges. It will be pretty darn close, but you will still need to shoot it and verify the marks/distance. It works by adjusting the magnification of the scope until the drops align with your bullet. Another option would be to get something with a custom dial, like Leupolds CDS system. You could work up your favorite and most accurate bullet/powder combo, then send your scope cap off and have it custom made. Then you just range, dial, and shoot. You can have different caps made for different loads as well. You could even go with a high dollar first focal plane reticle and start shooting by MOA or MIL DOT or something along those lines. But if you’re looking for something specifically designed around a BDC muzzleloading system, the Leupold is your best option.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use a Bushnell 1.5-5 power and it works good. Has the Circle-x crosshairs and holds zero great. I usually have it set around 2X. I am woods hunting and can't think when I would ever need 9X for a muzzle loader shot. With is set at 2X, it's about like looking through iron sights but with crosshairs. When I walk out to the field or food plots I can always crank it up to 5X. If I need more power than that to see it's horns, I'm not shooting at it anyway.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Last buck I killed was about 175 yards. It was a decent 8 point that was quartering toward me. A little more magnification was welcome to get a decent look at him before he crossed the logging road. Shooting .50 cal sabots pushed by a warm load of 777, I sight in a little high at 100 yds & have to hold just a little high at 200, which is as far as I like to shoot a ML. Shooting at longer ranges would require more tech. >200 not so much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts