muskrat

Discussion in 'Cooking, Grilling, BBQ, and Recipes' started by melhuntin, Dec 14, 2010.

1. melhuntin

melhuntin Member<br>Forum Sponsor

has anyone ever cooked muskrat? I:confused: hear if u fry it it tast like squirrel.

2. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

It is way better than squirrel or rabbit...better have more than one else you will
    be Jonesing for some more...very good, much like beaver, lean and rich

3. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

Seriously? Just sounds nasty!

4. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Having been raised by a family who remembered the depression era days in the riverbottoms of East Arkansas you learned that alot of things were eatable most never dreamed of & in fact were quite good at that, this being one of them.

5. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

I can see that. I know where a creek is full of 'em. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a try.

6. cottagecuts

cottagecuts New Member

wynne
    southern but not that southern

look bro we may have used to fight over the squirel brains, but id have to say dont send me invite for the muskrat roast!

7. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

If it's got "rat" in the name, I ain't touching it.

8. d2

d2 Well-Known Member

Some of the local VFD's on the east coast like around NJ have muskrat suppers during trapping season to raise money for the FD. They fry them things by the truck load and usually run short on orders. SaltyDog, the new member from NJ can tell you more about them when he gets settled in...d2

9. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

Muskrat is my favorite red meat. It's great fried! :thumb:

10. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

boy, ya'll are making saltydog feel right at home!! all he needs now is a good jeep thread and he will be in heaven, lol.....:up:

11. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

Not only have I not eaten them, I've never heard of anyone that had. Never say never, but I've not been that hungry yet.

12. shady grove

shady grove Well-Known Member

Shoot, Id eat about anything except maybe a cottonmouth or a owl (its bad luck to eat an owl). Do they have kernels in them you gotta get out?