Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading north and west Friday afternoon for mule deer, with a side of ducks for a change of pace.

Got 10 days to get it done. There are whitetails in the area also, but I'm gonna try to hold out for a mulie. All goes well and tag out early, may try to kick up some pheasant.

Nonetheless, 10 days camping in the Nissan Van 50 miles from the nearest town sounds like a good time, deer or not.

·
Premium Member
33,528 Posts
Tried it last year meat packing plant were down..
Had to debone ourselves...pack out ourselves..
Bow and Muzzleloader tags.White Tail,Mule deer and antelope tags. Loved it...
Were going to camp but found lots of motels cheap...
Good Hunting..

·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried it last year meat packing plant were down..
Had to debone ourselves...pack out ourselves..
Bow and Muzzleloader tags.White Tail,Mule deer and antelope tags. Loved it...
Were going to camp but found lots of motels cheap...
Good Hunting..
Thanks! Yeah, no motels close, and the one I normally stay at in the area is 100$ a night. Too rich for this fella for 10 days. I'll be processing myself, if'n I'm that fortunate.

·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tweaked my back pretty good yesterday morning, so my back was in bad shape this morning after yesterday's 8 mile hike in and out. Been scouting from the van this morning. Seen some good deer this morning, but I'm gonna take it easy on the back today. Don't think I could get one packed out right now.

Winds supposed to be 40mph with 60 mph gusts this evening. Big cold front coming in. Snowing pretty good right now with a low tonight of 8*.

Found a pothole pretty close to the road that was loaded with ducks this morning, so I'm gonna pack in a few decoys and try to hit a bird.

·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
whatever happened to this man ? i never saw what became of his hunt.
@truck24hr we need an update
Very tough hunt. I was hoping the ML season would be a bit less crowded. While it may have been, there were still plenty of hunters.

I've hunted the area several times (duck and upland), and knew the wind would be rough, but two days were 40 MPH with 60 MPH gusts. The cold in those winds was insane.

I packed in deep several times to glass wooded draws, but was never rewarded. The 2* and 0* days I hunted closer to the roads, and saw a lot of deer movement.

Hiking up to a glassing spot the last morning, and I slipped up within 40 yards of a 140"+ stud of a whitetail. He may have been bigger even, the huge body made it hard to gauge for me. He was facing straight away, and I wasn't confident enough in my bullet choice to attempt the shot. I was shooting a 240gr bullet instead of my normal 300 grainers in anticipation of a longer shot. Still wouldn't have tried that shot though with a ML.

Watched that buck walk over the ridge and that was it. Several does in the area kept me from pursuit. I backed off the mountain, hunted again that evening with no luck, and headed home.

I'm making plans for next year. I need better glass. While I could glass deer near a mile away with my Vortex 10x42's, I couldn't differentiate between make or model over about 800 yards. I hope to be packing some Swaro 10x42 rangefinding bino's next year.

A successful hunt none the less. Learned a lot, figured out I didn't need 90% of what I took. I loaded the 4 wheeler in back of my Nissan Van figuring I'd use it a bunch, but never did. Had a killed, I may have, but I don't mind packing one out.

4wd would have been helpful possibly. I did get stuck on the last day on a sandy trail, but I aired down and got right out. Overall the van did great, and home is where you stop.
Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Agriculture
Cloud Sky Water Ecoregion Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Natural landscape Orange Afterglow
Cloud Sky Water Afterglow Natural landscape

1 - 18 of 18 Posts