Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I don't believe so. There are two species of deer that habitate in North America, the white tail and mule deer. There are sub species of both. The range for mule deer : Western Canada and U.S. east to Wisconsin and western Texas. Elk on the other hand existed all the way to the East coast. They were pushed West by the settlers and the Rocky Mountains is where the bulk of them live now. I have killed mulies in NM, CO and WY. They are a noble game animal and not as dumb as a lot of book writers make them out to be.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CDL,

I believe you are correct, I cannot find any evidence that mule deer have ever existed in Arkansas.

I did find a range map that inludes a couple of mule deer pockets in Minnesota, one is in the far southeast touching Wisconsin and Iowa borders. This would be as far east as we are but obviously much further north.

I never realized there are so many subspecies of deer. Here in Arkansas were are said to have the Kansas White-tail deer - O.v. macrourus, while Kansas is predominantly Texas white-tail deer O.v. texanus. Wonder how many people eat Texanus?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I read once that mule deer are the result of a cross between whitetails and blacktails that occurred long long ago. It also seems that mulies are being pushed out by whitetails in much of their traditional areas. They seem to be on the decline as a species.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I've heard from several different people, that a former AGFC head owned property out near the Butlerville community, had mule deer releaded there over 30 years ago. My father told me this, and my father in-law did later on. Neither my dad or my father in-law ever met each other, as my dad died before my wife and I started to ever date. They both have the same story, and I have heard others say it as well. That being said, a muley buck will not breed a whitetail doe, but a whitetail buck will breed a mule deer doe. Also, and yes mule deer are thought to be a cross of black tail and whitetail.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I read once that mule deer are the result of a cross between whitetails and blacktails that occurred long long ago. It also seems that mulies are being pushed out by whitetails in much of their traditional areas. They seem to be on the decline as a species.
I don't believe that is true. The Black Tail deer is a subspecies of Mule Deer not the other way around. It is true that Mule Deer and White Tail Deer can and have interbreed and it is true that White tail deer have expanded into some of the low or flatter areas of the Mule Deer. White Tail deer or more at home in sharing habitat with the expanding human population where as the Mule Deer is not as compatible. White Tail deer live out their lives within a few miles of where they were born as long as human growth does not displace their habitat where as Mule Deer are more prone to migrate with the Winter season to lower elevations. It is true that the expansion of humans and White Tail deer are making it hard for the Mule Deer.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Blue Deer

Years ago the AG&FC trapped a lot of Minnesota White tail deer and relocated them here in Arkansas. They were known as a little larger than our native white tails and had a darker or "blue" coat comapared to the tan or brown coat our native deer displayed. Their hide color was very similar to the Mule Deer. I remember one of the first deer I killed in Bradley County years ago some of the old timers in my deer club said I had killed a "Blue" deer or at least a relative of one that was imported.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I heard on tv a few days ago (or on one of my hunting dvds) that mule deer ARE a cross between whitetail and blacktail. I will find out for sure and put the info on here but Im sure that they are a cross.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.