Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Great page, thanks for posting it. There really are a lot of myths around about Mountain Men and how they lived, what guns they carried, etc.

I have a friend who owns an original 1849 Hawken rifle. Of course real Hawkens looked almost nothing like the T/C or CVA Hawkens we all are familiar with. Even looking at pictures of originals can be misleading - the Hawken, while a sturdy gun for sure, actually had a finer, more delicate feel to them than the clubs we're used to.:biggrin:

I think that may be true of a lot of guns though, compare some of the early twentieth-century shotguns to later models, especially the wrist area.

I think the conventional wisdom today is that there were a lot of Lancaster (plainer styles) and Southern rifles carried into them shining mountains. Most of those guys were very poor and were going out to make their fortunes. They carried what they had (kinda like most of us:wink:).

Spot

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I'll have to agree with the "run what ya brung" theory. The surviving literature of the time and era is limited, and leads us down a narrow path--the reality of history tends to be much wider than what gets written down. For the most part, these were poor folk looking to make their way in life. If you were used to a higher standards of living, you probably werent interested in trapping!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.