Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey has anyone ever hunted Bienville, WMA in Mississippi? If so how was it? I got drawn for a permit opening weekend down there and am tring to decide if I want to hunt it or another piece of public land down there.

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
I think there are a few people from around here that have hunted that area but I really don't know much about it.
Just wish I was able to go hunt MS this year.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I drew for the Bienville WMA also and called a biologist this morning to ask him about the area. I believe his name is Dean. He doesn't turkey hunt so it is hard to tell much from what he said. He told me that from what he knows, the turkey hunting is good. His friend kills 3 turkeys a year there, but gets off the roads to do it. He told me the area is predominately pine and they do a lot of prescribed burns to keep them cleaned out. He said there are some hardwood draws.

The promising thing about that area is the size of the Bienville National Forest. It also holds two WMA, Caney Creek (28,000 acres) & Tallahala (28,000 acres) that do not require a permit draw. He said the Tallahala is better known as a turkey hunting area and has a lot more hardwoods.

I am only going off what that guy told me and have never been to the place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts