Mr C is this a ok stater lower ar to build my first ar.

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by varmit_master, Dec 16, 2012.

1. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

I fount this place that has new frontier armory polymer ar lower complete lower. all for 125.00. Thinking I would buy a used upper to go together and put a red dot on it for my boys to get used to shooting the ar. Let them shoot all the steel case ammo thru it all they want to. I wont let them shoot any steel case or fmj ammo thru mine. Where could I pick up a used upper and where as cheap as I can build them a ar. They want to shoot it but I don't like for them shooting my hunting ammo. They would love there own ar and I could save mine. What could i buy a ok used upper as cheap as I can find one? Plus I pm u about the brass. Ty Richard

2. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

Not Mr C but I'd avoid a polymer lower. Buddy of mine just got stripped Stag lowers and everything else in a kit from JSE Surplus and said he wound up with around $600 in his. He had a quad rail, so could probably be done a little cheaper.

3. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    Lots of people like the polymer lowers but I'm with HFH. I don't like polymer lowers on an AR.

I don't like trying to go cheap, you get what you pay for, and in the end a lot of time you buy twice and you end up spending more than if you would have gone better in the first place.

Keep your eyes open and PSA will put their blem lowers on sale for $49. Find a FFL that will transfer it for a few bucks. They run complete lower kits (less the stripped lower) on sale every once in a while for $80. For about the same $$ you will have a mil spec 7075 T6 aluminum lower instead of a plastic lower.

Some people like them, I don't. It's your $$, spend it how you want to.

4. chuckwagon

chuckwagon Well-Known Member

Last time they had blem lowers it was 69.
    Right now any Ar lower is better than none.

5. lc071

lc071 Well-Known Member

NEA
    True, I think very soon it will be a sellers market.

6. QuarterBore

QuarterBore Well-Known Member

Thank God I've got four more coming. Just wish I'd gotten that AK I always wanted.

Everyone should stock up on 30 round mags also.

7. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    About a month after Oblamer got elected in '08 I sold 2 lowers for $425 each.

8. QuarterBore

:eek:

9. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    At that time I wished I had a truck full. :biggrin:

10. QuarterBore

Sure wish I had ordered a ton more of those PSA lowers for 49.99 last year...

11. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    I know where there's a stack of 'em, but they ain't for sale.... yet. :biggrin:

12. QuarterBore

:twak:

13. shootemagain

shootemagain Well-Known Member

PSA is out of stock on their lowers according to their website..(imagine that..) Any idea how long they stay out of stock...? Any suggestions as to any other website or retailer who has a stripped lower that is reasonable..? I've "got a friend" that has a 6.8 spc upper and he's thinking it might be time to get a lower and assemble a complete rifle. Any help would be appreciated.....

14. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Better get your name on a list somewhere. The longer you wait the farther down the list you will be.

15. shootemagain

shootemagain Well-Known Member

Sounds like good advise....as always, thanks!