Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bob.............

Seeing as how you seem to be the 'AR Guru'.....Have you had any experience with the OROLITE AR/M16 Mags?????

Read some reviews, before I ordered a couple..mostly good, well more good than bad......anyway, the price was right, so if they are junk, then I'm not out much, and will stick to the steel mags.!!!!!!!!!

I haven't messed with the AR since the old military days, so I am relearning, but it's coming back:biggrin: Alreaady pulled one 'bonehead' stunt:banghead:, took the pistol grip off to do a little camo job, putting it back together, missed the spring, and it went flying off into space:smack:, then I was laying the rifle down, and the 'selector switch pin' fell out....right into the A/C vent:smack:

No biggie.......got a new spring/pin, and an ambi selector switch..problem solved:biggrin:

·
Administrator
87,179 Posts
Since they are a high temp plastic, the main complaints I have seen on them are that when left loaded to capacity, they have a tendency to swell and not fit the mag well. Also, when it is real cold, I have heard of them shattering when they hit a hard surface.

I have about 40 or so 30 round mags, and they all are USGI aluminum mags. Those are the tried and proven mags, and they hold up well. I also have about 10 or so 20 rounders. The shorter mags are easier to use when on the bench shooting off of sandbags. They are also handier to hunt with, they don't stick out the bottom of the mag well as far.

Been there, done that on the selector spring under the handle. One thing about it, you won't forget it again. There is also a small pin that goes on the end of the spring that pushes against the selector. Don't forget it or you'll be replacing the spring again.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since they are a high temp plastic, the main complaints I have seen on them are that when left loaded to capacity, they have a tendency to swell and not fit the mag well. Also, when it is real cold, I have heard of them shattering when they hit a hard surface.

I have about 40 or so 30 round mags, and they all are USGI aluminum mags. Those are the tried and proven mags, and they hold up well. I also have about 10 or so 20 rounders. The shorter mags are easier to use when on the bench shooting off of sandbags. They are also handier to hunt with, they don't stick out the bottom of the mag well as far.

Been there, done that on the selector spring under the handle. One thing about it, you won't forget it again. There is also a small pin that goes on the end of the spring that pushes against the selector. Don't forget it or you'll be replacing the spring again.

Thanks! Oh no!!! Won't forget again!!!! Where do you get you USGI mags..........Cheaper than Dirt, or Midway????

BTW You working thursday? gonna be in LR for a retiree education meeting, might walk across the street!!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I'm in teh proces of replacing nealry all of my current mags. I went to Brownell's and have bought MagPul P-MAGS....... these are the dope.

I've seen them slammed lips down on teh deck and never spit out a round, run over by a truck and not spit out a round and stored fully loaded in the trunk of a unit and not get "spring-set".

If I were going to recommend any one mag other than P-MAGS it would be Brownell's won factory mags. They have a good variety, tehy ship quick and they back everything 100%...... for real, you don't like it jet it back, no shipping, restock or other BS.

Just my .02........

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Snydedawg!.......I was talking to a buddy yesterday, and he sold me 2 USGI mags for a steal.........the Orolite mags came in today, I haven't fired a round with them, that's going to happen tis weekend, but they do fit , although a little tight, but not to the point that they have to be forced in the magwell.............Also got a picatinny rail mounted on the handguard, last night, before I had to go back to work.........gonna add a grip on it, and maybe a flashlight............anybody got any ideas on a good light, am leaning toward an LED type, just not wanting to spend an arm and a leg!!!!!

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
All this AR talk has really got me itching.
Anyone got any suggestions for the best place to order a stripped lower so I can get started with a build?
What brands should I favor and what brands should I steer away from?
Any problems with Rock River Arms or DPMS?

·
Administrator
87,179 Posts
Anyone got any suggestions for the best place to order a stripped lower so I can get started with a build?
I have built several using stripped Rock River lowers. As long as you stay with a name brand, you shouldn't have any problems. Both Rock River and DMPS would be good.

Putting together a stripped lower takes about 30 minutes the first time, about 15-20 after that.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya better start scratchin it!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

GM and I will be coming thru Warre about 7 or so tomorrow night...get the wheeler ready to ride up on the trailer!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Ya better start scratchin it!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

GM and I will be coming thru Warre about 7 or so tomorrow night...get the wheeler ready to ride up on the trailer!!:biggrin:
I'd be out on the bypass waiting on you if I wasn't planning on riding in the river bottoms tomorrow night. :thumb:
Heck, I hate I won't be around for you to stop by and show me that AR of yours.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I have built several using stripped Rock River lowers. As long as you stay with a name brand, you shouldn't have any problems. Both Rock River and DMPS would be good.

Putting together a stripped lower takes about 30 minutes the first time, about 15-20 after that.
what he said!!

Boys, just shop around. Stick to name brands, build your own from parts. They ain't real complicated. I'm on number two now, it ain't real hard. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Any suggestions on some of the better sites to start my shopping on?
Well, I love Rock River, because I lucked into a killer deal there back around Christmas. They knocked 10% off, paid the shipping, and of course there was no sales tax! I got a complete upper from them and was highly satisfied with it. I ordered a rear flip-up sight at the same time (its a flat-top), and they even installed it and saftey-wired the mounting screw!

Gun Shows. Pick and choose the parts you want. This stuff is fun!

Del-Ton looks good, but I've not dealt with them--yet!

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd be out on the bypass waiting on you if I wasn't planning on riding in the river bottoms tomorrow night. :thumb:
Heck, I hate I won't be around for you to stop by and show me that AR of yours.
We'll be coming back thru sometime Sunday afternoon...........bringing the Ranger back home, gonna do some work around the lease close to the house, so I need it at home!! I'll pm ya my cell#, and maybe we can hook up on the way back thru!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.