Moving it all out to the garage, worried about moisture...

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by AF2007, Dec 15, 2012.

1. AF2007

AF2007 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I had everything in my office in a cabinet and in my closet (guns and ammo). The wife and I had a bit of a compromise to move things down to the garage in exchange for me getting a new safe. I ended up getting a cannon 24 gun from tractor supply. Fits perfectly and all the guns work nicely in it. I also put my ammo down in the garage in their cabelas ammo cans in the existing gun cabinet.

I'm just worried about moisture. I put desiccant packs in both but I hate the idea of moisture getting to my guns or my ammo. Where do you guys keep yours? I have alot of ammo, probably more than I'll go through in several years. Will it keep in the cans?

2. lc071

lc071 Well-Known Member

NEA
    Desiccant packs don't always take care of moisture problems, don't ask me how I know this. Get a dehumidifier for that safe if you want your guns to stay dry & clean. I switched to one of these after the silica packs let every one of my guns mildew. No issues since then.

http://www.browning-gun-safe.com/dehumidifier1.html

3. stevefulmer

stevefulmer Well-Known Member

I have the same set-up in my garage, but I keep all ammo inside. I had some problems with ammo going bad even though I had a dehumidifier in the safe. I put each gun in a silicone sleeve and have not had any problems with the guns rusting.