Mounting a CMC

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by NaturalStateNative, Dec 15, 2010.

1. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

Just picked up my boat yesterday and driving down south to pick my motor up today as soon as I leave work. I'm going to run the boat with just the motor on it for a couple days to get the feel of it but will be putting my CMC pt-130 on shortly. Since my suzuki is now a longshaft and I bought a tall transom boat I want to make absolutely sure I get it in the right place.
    What is the best way to measure the transom/motor to get it at the right height?
    And since it has 2 sets of holes in the cmc, do I want the top set to put the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the boat? or the bottom set?
    In other words, do I want to be able to raise my motor an inch and a half or lower it an inch and a half?

2. greenhead smackdown

greenhead smackdown Well-Known Member

If you are going to mount the cav plate level then you will want to use the top holes to allow you to move it up 1 inch if needed.

3. tcb

tcb Member

leave it off you are just askin for more trouble.

4. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

why do you say that?

5. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

Use a piece of cardboard as a stencil to line up the motor with the Tilt/Trim.

6. nturchi

nturchi Well-Known Member

I used the clamps(strong kind) then shifted the cmc as needed drilled and was done. If you have good one's it'll hold it with the motor on if your gentle

7. greenhead smackdown

Don't think that is what he asked

8. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

anyone know of a good place to get one of these units used?

9. NaturalStateNative

Like "C" clamps?

10. greenhead smackdown

Yeah, C clamps work good. The irwin brand plastic/rubber ones worked just fine for putting mine on. Sounds like you are going to be getting some good speeds once you get everything dialed in.

11. NaturalStateNative

I hope so. I don't see why I won't get a good solid 35, maybe 36 depending on if a 15 pitch helps that much

12. nturchi

x2

I have some of the heavy duty irwin one's that worked well. C clamps should do just fine.

13. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

You do not want the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the boat at all when you install the CMC. The cavitation plate should be about 3" higher on an average than the bottom of the boat on most applications I have seen. Here is the instructions as to how to install it! Rule of thumb, on the plate that mounts to the boat, Figure 2, there is a stepdown, put that lower level of the CMC level with the top of the transom when mounting as shown in Figure 4. Use the upper holes in the CMC when mounting. If it appears you need to raise the unit, them move it to the lower mounting holes which will raise the engine.

Here is you a link to the factory instructions:

http://www.cook-mfg.net/PDFs/PT-130 Owners Manual.pdf

14. nturchi

check ebay and craigslist, I think I may even have heard that someone callin the company or a dealer and asked about $ of refurbished one's.

15. park duck

park duck Well-Known Member

scratched and refurbished:thumb:

16. greenhead smackdown

This is not true information at all. It should not be 3" higher on "average". It should be 3" higher at best. I would like to find many aluminum hull duck boats that will turn sharp without blowing out if the motor is more than 3" higher than bottom of the transom. The motor*(cavitation plate) needs to be b/t 1"-3" higher than bottom of the transom. If you start out with mounted closer to the 3", then i would use the bottom holes to mount, but if you first mount it around 1" above, then i would use the top holes. I have installed around 6 of these things, and that is usually a good rule of thumb.

17. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Agreed on the blowing out during a turn, but any boat be it a flatbottom or a high performance go fast will blow out in a turn when trimmed up, thats why you trim them down to do a powerturn!

As to the 3" deal, keep in mind here that he is not using a PT35 with alot less offset, but he is using a PT130 with a 6" offset, keep that in mind! Anyway, no nevermind what I say, here is where they say it should be off their site:

18. NaturalStateNative

So, if I shim my motor up the way it sits on the boat right now and try it out, will that at all give me an idea of how it would perform at the same height on the cmc? or would the setback completely change everything?
    Also, I just had my shortshaft suzuki swapped over to a longshaft mounted to a 21" transom, if that makes a difference at all

19. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor

Proper engine height depends on several factors. Including prop, hull, customer expectations and most of all... proper water collection for cooling purposes. Seldom are any two proper set-ups the same unless they include the same boat, motor and prop. If you are installing the pt-130, set it on the transom at it's highest point. Start with the motor at it's lowest. Do afew runs and keep an eye on the water tell-tail. Go up from there to the next level and so on. You will find that a certain setting fits your needs. (For the most part, the highest setting is where most boats run. Unless you have a near vertical transom)