Mountain Lion Migration article in USA Today

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by Rackmaster, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Rackmaster

Rackmaster Well-Known Member

This article is in today's USA Today. The last paragraph talks about Arkansas. Thought you might be interested.

By Jeff Martin, USA TODAY
    SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — States in the Midwest and South that have not been home to mountain lions in the past century are starting to see some migrating big cats within their borders.
    Wildlife officials say their numbers may increase if the trend of more females roaming into their regions continues.

On Feb. 5, wildlife officials using DNA confirmed that a cat seen about 50 miles southwest of Milwaukee on Jan. 18 was a lion — Wisconsin's first confirmation since 1905.

Two days later, a 100-pound male lion was killed by a conservation officer in Scottsbluff, Neb. There's new evidence lions are not just wandering through the state, but making it their home.

John Kanta, a regional wildlife manager with the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks, says the migration is due in part to the fact that the Black Hills of South Dakota are saturated with mountain lions. Young males, he says, are often forced out by older cats.

Most reports of mountain lions — also known as cougars and pumas, among other names — traveling hundreds of miles across the country in recent years involved males. Now, Kanta says, researchers are noticing female pumas beginning to make their own long-distance treks and looking to breed. That, he says, holds the potential for a far greater impact on states throughout the central USA, from Wisconsin in the north to Arkansas in the south.

"We know these large predators can re-establish themselves in areas where they've been eliminated," said Adrian Wydeven, a Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources ecologist.

Such a scenario could be set in motion if a male cougar finds a mate in suitable terrain, said Mark Dowling, co-founder of the Cougar Network, a non-profit research organization.

Last year, the body of a cougar kitten was found near Chadron, Neb. That was significant, as it probably represented the state's first evidence of reproduction in modern times, said Sam Wilson, manager of the non-game mammal and furbearer program with the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.

Elsewhere:

•Montana. A female puma from South Dakota's Black Hills turned up in Montana's Custer National Forest. That's about 130 miles from its home in the Black Hills. Earlier, a female puma was killed by a landowner more than 300 miles east of the Black Hills.

•Missouri. The Department of Conservation's Mountain Lion Response Team has confirmed 10 instances of mountain lions in the state since 1994.

•Arkansas. Arkansas contained the highest percentage of potentially favorable habitat — 19% — among nine states studied by Southern Illinois University Carbondale wildlife ecologist Clay Nielsen and SIU graduate research assistant Michelle LaRue. Although much of the Plains is considered unsuitable for pumas, the research by Nielsen and LaRue suggests that large parts of the central USA hold strong potential to support them, particularly the Ozark Mountains of Missouri and Arkansas, as well as parts of Oklahoma and Minnesota.

2. LedZhead20

LedZhead20 Well-Known Member

Good Find. They are here:thumb:

3. spit-n-drum

spit-n-drum Well-Known Member

My father-n-law said he saw pictures of one that was hit near Prescott the other day. I am trying to get the pictures to post.

4. hollenbach

hollenbach Guest

Turns out the cougar hit near Prescott was hit near Prescott, AZ (Arizona), not Prescott, AR. The cat in that picture was absolutely a monster.

5. They're here, I think. Does anybody know if they can be black? There's no telling how many stories I've heard about "panthers" but, I don't think they're panthers. Could there be black mountain lions? :confused:

6. antler3

antler3 Well-Known Member

Well I am a firm believer in the black ones, saw one myself. But yea there is black specimens that show up in alot of species of animal. Coyote, deer, squirrel just to name a few......I would think what I saw would have been a black mountain lion. All the old timers who have seen and talked about them called them a panther. I would lean more toward a black mountain lion...... That is a good find , enjoyed the article.

7. Bruin

Bruin Well-Known Member

Poo Wee!:rolleyes:

Whatever!

8. spit-n-drum

spit-n-drum Well-Known Member

Hollenbach, thanks for clearing that up. I had wondered about that. I did a search on the internet for "mountain lion hit near Prescott" and the story that came up was in Arizona. I wondered if someone hadn't started a story that it was Prescott, Ar.

I know for a fact they are here in North Texas. One got on a car and jumped over a 6 foot iron fence and killed my friends two 60 lb bulldogs last summer. The game wardens looked at the tracks where it jumped off the car and said it was definitely a mountain lion. He said there were several that ran that creek. He said that when it gets real dry they have a hard time tracking prey and they have alot of instances where they turn to pets.

9. Getcher guns!

Keep yer powder dry boyz! Here they come.

[​IMG]

10. JR

JR Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br

I repeat that there are no mountain lions in Arkansas. At least that is what the AGFC tells me. :rolleyes:

11. reggie-2-guns

reggie-2-guns Well-Known Member

You'll see alot of the black ones if you look in South America. Rembember to look for Jaguars and not panthers (or Mountain Lions).

12. Gruntcall

Gruntcall Well-Known Member

I thought a Puma, Mountain Lion and Cougar were all the same thing.:read:

13. Mule man

Mule man Well-Known Member

You are correct.

14. reggie-2-guns

reggie-2-guns Well-Known Member

or cougars..

Good point!

15. The game and fish denies it for sure. I talked to them about some sheep that were attacked by something big and they told me it was a bear. The claw marks were as big or bigger than my hand. About a half mile from the sheep, something killed a 350 lb. calf and drug it to the woodline (bout 200 yards). Would coyotes or a bear do that? :confused:

16. Down on the White

Down on the White Well-Known Member

A bear might, yotes no.

17. xtremebowhunter

xtremebowhunter Well-Known Member

:eek: heard from a guy that has a lease next to my inlaws, he said they have been seeing a momma and cubs around there. Kinda shoots the whole no breading population all to crap.:eek:

18. antler3

antler3 Well-Known Member

Well I didn't ask for you to believe or not to believe. My post wasn't intended for that. I don't consider myself to be a liar, but you do have a right to your own opinion. I can't deny the facts, and so while we are on the subject just thought I'd tell the truth in what I saw along with my daughter. I really don't understand why everyone has such a problem with the mnt. lion being here and even the black ones for that matter.

A teacher was teaching her class of 10 year olds about evolution. She ask a young lad to go outside and look at the trees. He did so and upon returning she ask him if he saw them. He replied yes of course. Then she ask another student to go outside and look for God and he did so. Upon returning she ask well did you see him ? The lad replied well no. Then she said well we don't know that he exist then do we ? A small statured girl stood up at the back of the class and raised her hand to speak, when she was allowed to do so, she ask, class do you see the teachers brain ? They replied no, well she said, according to the lesson we have been taught today we do not know that she has one............ :wink: :razz:

19. BEERHUNTER

BEERHUNTER Well-Known Member

the state has spent millions looking for a woodpecker i bet they could spend a lot less and confirm a cougar.

20. Gruntcall

Gruntcall Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any cats, but I have heard one before.

And they can give up on the woodpecker, it tasted just like chicken.