Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know supposed to be in product review which it is but thought might get more response here..
Has anyone tried or heard what kinda gun the mossberg ATR in 243 or 270 is??
I wasn't aware there was such a critter...Ran across them and the new price is very reasonable..Just wasn't sure what kinda gun they were

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
They are a very capable utility rifle. No thrills, no frills. I've hear guys who don't own them bad mouth them a lot, but I've seen folks who's opinions I trust get one only to come back and buy 2 or 3 more for family. I've heard they shoot very straight and are very reliable out of the box. I wouldn't buy the gun/scope combo because the scope is a piece of junk.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I own a 243 for my kids. It is a good accurate gun however, the trigger leaves a lot to be desired. It is very gritty and has a heavy pull. I just took hers to a gunsmith to see if it can be adjusted. my 10 y/o has to use two fingers to pull the trigger. It is very accurate with factory ammo getting sub 1 inch groups at 100 yds. I put a good scope on it (swift) that is 3x9.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have one in .30-06 and I love it. For a hunting rifle its pretty dang good. It isnt as nice as my brownings but I dont hunt with them much eather. The mossberg will shoot good. Ive shot it out to 200 yards and never had a problem.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all..My father inlaw had all his guns stolen the night before deer season last year...He doesn't go much but with my son getting close to the age to go and I know my father inlaw will won't to
go with him I would get one these for both of them to use...I 'm afraid all mine got alittle to much kick for him and my son...:thumb:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I checked them out thoroughly. I liked what I found... I bought the ATR100 in .270. It has the synthetic stock and Marinecoat barrel. I gave 300.00 for it and for the quality and functionality of the gun that is a good deal. Is it as pretty as my Brownings, Remingtons, or Rugers and others ??? No ..... but it is an accurate and quality hunting rifle, and you can buy 2 of them for the price of 1 of the other brands. I have seen the wood / blued combo for 250.00 but as said before, I don't really like the scope on the combo, but if necessary, it could fill the bill for a year or so until you could get it / them replaced ... if you went that route.

Good luck

MET

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
Is it as pretty as my Brownings, Remingtons, or Rugers and others ??? No ..... but it is an accurate and quality hunting rifle, and you can buy 2 of them for the price of 1 of the other brands.
That's exactly why I hunt with a synthetic stocked Savage. I don't mind dragging it thorough the brush and briars and if it gets scratched, no tears are shed.

Everything I have read about Mossberg's has been positive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.