Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using one of these? The look great IMO. I hope to have one by sundown. :wink: It's got a .695 choke in it. That's a lot bigger than most I've seen. Kinda wondering what kind of pattern that will produce.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will stick to my 870 Express Super Mag with a kicks 665 choke tube . DEAD BIRD AT 55 STEPS ! And the pattern is still big enough at 5 yards that you wont miss.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
61 Posts
THey've got a Mossberg 535 in 3 1/2 and they've got an 835 and 935.

This one's just an 835 with some bells and whistles. I'm stoked and ready to smoke a gobbler with it. :thumb:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/ouachitamtnman/HPIM5025.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/ouachitamtnman/HPIM5027.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/ouachitamtnman/HPIM5026.jpg

Ok . WOW ! I used an 835 3 1/2 " nice gun, kicks a little but you wont feel that if your beaded down on an ol' long beard :eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Anybody using one of these? The look great IMO. I hope to have one by sundown. :wink: It's got a .695 choke in it. That's a lot bigger than most I've seen. Kinda wondering what kind of pattern that will produce.
The Mossbergs are overbored to about a 10 gauge bore. That is why most of the chokes you see will be larger than the standard 12 guage choke. I have a .680 and a .695. I use the .695 turkey hunting. Generally what I've seen with the .695 is the more shot you put in the barrell the better the pattern. If you can find a 2.25 oz load or larger you will typically get better patterns @ 40 yds. I use a 2.25 oz triplex heavishot load in mine. The same company makes a 2 5/8 oz copper coated lead load for the mossberg but I like my shoulder too much to try them.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet CJ! Did you put an limb saver butt pad on there also? I shot it tonight and I see why. On a separate note, what kind of tile is that? My wife and I are thinking of building and are looking at tile and that's real pretty.

Thanks Huntin fool, that's just the kinda stuff I was fixin' to ask for. The guy at the gun store said something about the barrel and it's forcing cone or something that was supposed to make it shoot better. I'll need to try something because I went and shot it this evening with 3 1/2 # 4's, 5's and 6's and I wasn't crazy about any of the patterns at 40 yds but the #5 Hevi-Shot did the best with about 10 pellets in the kill zone (Head and Neck) @ 40 yds. My 870 didn't shoot any better with the Remington Super full or the Primos Jellyhead, but I was never happy with them either. I may have to get a Rhino...next year. Oh yeah, this mutha kicks like Chuck Liddell. Ouch!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hey Andy,
Good looking gun! Talking about kicking kinda hard, this 870 has got a little of that going on too. I shot some 3 1/2" #5's with 2 1/4 ounces of lead....geez.....that will make a man flinch when he pulls the trigger. I shoot the same shell in my Browning Gold and it doesn't kick near as much. I'm thinking about going to a 3" with #6 shot in this Remington. I got a Limbsaver recoil pad tonight and going to see if that will help some. I'll let you know. And again, that's a good looking gun you've got now!

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks y'all.

Sprtsmn001, I'm getting one of those Limbsaver butt pads also. My goodness this thing is a killer on both ends,and I'll agree, that Remington wasn't any better.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
How much did yall pay for it? Im buying one next week for $419. Also whats the difference between the 835 and the 535. They both shoot 3.5s cant find any other difference other than price. I know the 500 only shoots 3 inch.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
535 has a different barrel. I was going to go with one of those because of price but everyone I picked up, the pump rattled like crazy and was loose as a goose. $419 Where!? That's less than the 535's were where I bought mine :smack:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
535 has a different barrel. I was going to go with one of those because of price but everyone I picked up, the pump rattled like crazy and was loose as a goose. $419 Where!? That's less than the 535's were where I bought mine :smack:
$419 at Hawks in Jonesboro for the 535. Yours is the 835? What did it list for.
You got me worried now about the rattling, I will have to take note before I buy it. Thanks though.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, you had me scared for a minute. I thought you were getting an 835 for $419. The 535s there are about $425. The 835 is $479. I looked at those 535s for about 30 minutes thinking about that difference in price and wanted like crazy to save that extra money but every one I picked up (about 4 different ones) had really loose and noisy pumps. I did a little research and I had a 500 as my first turkey gun and that is the worst complaint on Mossberg is that loose pump. The 835 was a little less loose.

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
I have a 835 Ultra mag thats been backbored and ported only issue I have ever had was it has jammed a few times on some 3.5's, shot allot of 3iners out of it with never a failure! I think its a good gun for the price!

·
Registered
751 Posts
if you have access to it, you might try the hevi-shot brand in the bronze shell. from the reading i've been doing on the nwtf board, guys are have good success with the new 3.5" shell loaded in 2.25oz #6s and in the 3" shell, the 2oz load #6s. i've got some of the 3"s ordered for my gold - they should be in tomorrow.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts