Morning or Afternoon

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by MatthewsMan, Dec 29, 2010.

1. MatthewsMan

MatthewsMan Well-Known Member

Anyone headed out in the morning? I'm in NWA and the forecast is for winds later in the day but I've been out in the morning several times lately and haven't seen anything. Just needing some advice on which to take a chance on...doubt I could both. Wouldn't want to not go in the moring and then have a windy afternoon. Thoughts?

2. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

Typically I lean towards afternoons this time of year, but this has not been a typical year. I have more morning pics than afternoon. My place is in Eureka Springs.

3. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member

I am going to try it in the morning. The last week i have had pics in the mornin some days before 730 and some days not until 11 o clock and some more around 3. Then some days i only get evening pics. the deer here just dont have a set pattern right now

4. MatthewsMan

I agree that it's been very odd year. btech are you hunting in the morning?

5. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

I dont think so. Ive pushed myself to the breaking point this year. Im taking a couple weeks off to shoot some yotes. Im going to try to kill another slick or two towards the end of January. I really like killing pregnant does. :up:

6. if the weather cooperates I will be going out in the morning. If my wife does not deside to go. Its her turn :banghead: That means I will be home with the two kids. I love them but the wife has killed two this year. I have not let an arrow fly. And yes she rubs it in. This is her first year to hunt at all and she has two bow kills :banghead:

7. MatthewsMan

I can see your frustration carbon...however you sound like a good husband! We've got two kids and one on the way and my wife still lets me go despite her being sick to her stomach all the time and a load of laundry to do! Today when I got back I scrubbed the bathroom...hopefully I'll get to go till I stick one this year! Tell her good luck if she goes.

8. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

Not hunting at all tomorrow, but I think I may give it a go Friday morning.

9. lowellarcher

lowellarcher Well-Known Member

Afternoons have always been better for me late season.

10. mdl

mdl Well-Known Member

Headed out the door. Hope I can pick up where it left off when night came....they were moving like crazy after that rain.

11. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    I stepped out the door this morning right as the sun was starting to peek over the ridge. I almost stopped to listen for a gobble. It's turkey hunting weather out there (albeit too windy).

12. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

Yea, I think afternoons is better, but depends on area I guess. Rained all day here. I am planning to go this afternoon.

13. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Afternoons for me this time of the year. My game cam pics indicate this also. Actually getting a few pics right before dark. Two different evenings this week, during the three day gun hunt, my wife had nine different bucks show up at one time. We have getting pictures of them all fall - at night, but they finally got hungry enough to make a daytime appearance. Had a couple of 120 class bucks in the bunch, but she gave them a free pass. If she sees them this week when bow hunting, they won't be so lucky.

14. last 2 outings evening hunts

both times nothing at all, took my son to try and get him one, funny thing is with where I put him(gun hunting) I can see so much acerage and not seeing any movement right till dark, may try morning this weekend, change is good :biggrin:

15. 10pointman

10pointman Waterfowl forum Sheriff<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

There were 6 Does feedin in my yard today when I was about to leave for work.Made me late for work,Took a few pics of them at about 15 steps.
    And then a few miles down the road there was a rodkill doe that was'nt there last night.They are moving here this morning.

16. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member

Fixing to go get on stand for a midday hunt

17. antler3

antler3 Well-Known Member

Well I missed one yesterday right before dark. There is a thicket to the East of me across the county road. I have a feeder out back of the house in the open field. They run across the field from the East right before dark ... about 5:10 probably. It's my first year to hunt out of a blind. I got in it and adjusted my sitting stool and here they came. Come to find out I sit too low for the small window. My arrow would have pierced the blind below the window so I stretched up as far as I could to clear and I missed. It was getting too dark by the time they came back. They ran down in corner of field where I have a food plot and fed for awhile. I cannot find my arrow this morning :smack:

18. MatthewsMan

Well friends I'm headed out for the afternoon...PFD (Pray For Deer)!!! Saw some this morning on my drive to the stand (about a 1/4 mile from my stand actually) but they never showed up...maybe just maybe this afternoon I'll get er' done! I'll let ya know what happens.

19. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

regardless of time of year, I avoid hunting in high wind. Now, 10-15 mph if it steady is not too bad, but anything over 15 seems to put them down.

Now I do agree that I prefer afternoons (really anytime of the year), but avoid the wind any any cost.

20. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I prefer the afternoons as well, but being I'm not seeing nothing that time of day I'm shifting my schedule and going to hunt in the morning and take care of some projects later in the day.