Montana Brand Tractors?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by TJKRide, Jul 7, 2020.

1. TJKRide

TJKRide Well-Known Member

Ogden
    Has anyone run these or own one? I am looking at a Montana 4340C but don't know anything about them. We've always had Kubota, John Deere, or big old russian and polish tractors. We sold all our equipment here so we wouldn't have to ship it when we get there.

sparkie likes this.
  2. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I know nothing about them, but not sure where you would get it worked on in SW AR. You will at least have JD and Kubota within 25 miles

Punkinseed and sparkie like this.

3. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    There was a guy selling them around here a few years ago.... pricing seemed good - then, all of a sudden, he just closed up and was gone.
    He sold several but I don't know anyone that bought one. Seemed on par with L&S, and Branson....

sparkie likes this.
  4. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    Add FarmPro to that list.

sparkie likes this.
  5. fairweatherhunter

fairweatherhunter Well-Known Member

Montana was a Land Star, LS, the contract ended.

sparkie likes this.
  6. sparkie

sparkie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

NEA
    Better stick with what we know.
    Sometimes if it cost less we get what we pay for.

7. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

Go with Deere, Kubota or Massey.

deer14 and sparkie like this.
  8. ray porter

ray porter Well-Known Member

east ar
    kioti and LS seem to be the most thought of off brands. both have quite a following on tractorbynet.

branson is falling fast. dealers seem to disappear in a year or two and move somewhere else.

there is a lot of the off brands out there.
    Zetor, iseki, bobcat-toolcat, McCormick, Mitsubishi to name a few. parts may be available if you are a good mechanic - but wait times ?

i bought a new holland about 9 years ago. at the time it was a toss up with kubota.

9. TJKRide

Ogden
    For bigger hard working tractors we couldn't kill our Zeta or Leda, all the rest have been Kubota and JD and all been good. Parts and mechanic aren't a worry, it's the needing the parts and mechanic I'd like to avoid. I want to stay at the normal 1-3 small fixes a year.

sparkie likes this.
  10. Scatterlandsfarms

Scatterlandsfarms Well-Known Member

ne ar
    I have a Branson and to date haven't needed parts 3 years now ,, engine is a Cummins and injection pump can be rebuilt by lots of local shops it's simple old style no computer's no def ,, filters are universal and are on lots of equipment like Ferris mowers . Truth is most people don't realize lots of parts are sourced out and lots of different equipment have the same parts just different numbers .oh yeah in case you didn't know Branson built about every John Deere under 50 hp in places like Germany , Britan

MO HUNTER and sparkie like this.
  11. arits74

arits74 Well-Known Member

i own a LS they are far from an off brand.do some research, LS makes all of new hollands and case small tractors.even the small john deeres are made overseas in other countrys.i have owned every color.

HuntHigh and sparkie like this.
  12. TJKRide

Ogden
    I appreciate the info everyone. I did find out parts are interchangeable with the new holland boomer series. My newest tractor was a new holland boomer. 2009, no emmisions, and worked like crazy. Only had it for a couple years until we just sold her.

sparkie likes this.
  13. Scatterlandsfarms

ne ar
    I can't remember for sure but I think Montana Tractor came about because the guy that owns J B Hunt trucking wanted a tractor company so got another manufacturer to make them . I had a LS once about 4 years ago xg3025 engine locked up because a manufacturer flaw in the cam shaft allowed slack and would allow oil to pass thru mine had 52 hrs on it and LS bought it back and offered me another model but I was gun shy at the time and wanted something different . Tried to buy a kabota at Jonesboro Tractor but after pulling up in a old dirty truck I rekon they figured I couldn't afford one ,, Tri county in Ash Flat treated me great and was glad to take a check with no problem even dilervered the tractor that night and it was Saturday afternoon at closing time.

sparkie, TJKRide and Allenn like this.
  14. mhankins

mhankins Well-Known Member

Depends on the size I think.
    The small JD's are made by yanmar I was told,and the small massey's are made by Mitsubishi,but I would not swear to it.

sparkie likes this.
  15. Scatterlandsfarms

ne ar
    TYM is one of the world's largest , they own Branson , Rural King and a couple others also make one or two of the Mahindras and supplies parts for several brands

sparkie likes this.
  16. sam

sam Grand Member

I bought a small Massey Ferguson back in the 1980's and it was a Kubota, painted red. We used it to blade manure out of the holding pen on the dairy and when the red paint peeled off it was Kubota orange underneath. It was easier to cross reference it to Kubota, to get parts, after all the Massey dealers closed up around here.

sparkie, TJKRide and Onetrakd like this.
  17. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    A lot of older Bobcat brand skidsteers are powered by Kubota engines.

sparkie likes this.
  18. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    I bought my first small tractor in 1980...
    I was already on an "American Made" kick so my first stop was at the Case dealer... Nope
    Then John Deere... Nope
    Then Massey.... Nope
    Tried them all.... even forty years ago you could not buy an American made tractor below (?) 90hp... So I opted for Kubota.
    Still got it... Still runs like a top.

sparkie and Onetrakd like this.
  19. Scatterlandsfarms

ne ar
    Kukje Machinery is a South Korean company which manufactures tractors, combine harvesters and other equipment under the Kukje brand. It is a subsidiary of Tong Yang Moolsan, another South Korean agricultural manufacturer. Until 2016, it was a subsidiary of Dongkuk Steel, a large conglomerate. Kukje was founded in 1968 as Korea Agricultural Machinery Co., and changed its name in 1978 to name to Kukje Machinery Co.. In 1980, Kukje signed a technological agreement with Yanmar of Japan. In addition, Kukje has manufactured/distributed some John Deere tractors since 1987.

In 1995, Kukje established its diesel engine manufacturing plant, and in 2002 established an agreement with Cummins to build and supply engines for them.

In 2003, Kukje established Branson Tractor, LLC in the USA to distribute tractors under the Branson brand name. They also manufactured tractors sold under the Century brand in the USA. In 2009, Kukje signed a letter of intent to merge its Branson Tractor company with USA-based Montana Tractors,[1] and it resulted in some Branson tractors being rebadged as Montana tractors. The deal fell through, and Montana eventually closed down.

In December 2015, Dongkuk Steel announced they were looking to sell Kukje. The next July, 2016, Tong Yang signed a letter of intent to purchase the company, and it was concluded in September 2016. Kukje is now a division of Tong Yang Moolsan. In 2016, Kukje began supplying tractors to Carraro of Italy.

In 2017, Kukje signed an agreement with Indian manufacturer VST Tillers for the transfer of technology to build 47 hp (35 kW) tractors in India. The first tractors appeared on the market in 2018 badged as VST with

sparkie likes this.
  20. ray porter

ray porter Well-Known Member

east ar
    no mahindras out there?