Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://fwp.mt.gov/bearid/default.html

In Montana you need to pass a mandatory test in order to get your black bear tag. The link above will take you to their start page.

Not always as easy as you might think, because the question isnt whether you could watch a bear long enough to make an accurate identification, but whether you can from a still shot at different angles based on what you know about bears.

You can print a valid certification from Fish & Wildlife if you pass.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I took that in 2004 when I was living there. They DO NOT ask you for it when you purchase a license at most places, but some will. That being said, if you check in a bear, and the MT FWP does not have your name on file your up the creek.

·
Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
660 Posts
The old story is the MT game and fish recommend if you are a hiker to wear bells and carry pepper spray.

They say it is easy to tell the differance between a black bear in the area and a Griz.

The Griz scat has little bells in it and it smells like pepper.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
The old story is the MT game and fish recommend if you are a hiker to wear bells and carry pepper spray.

They say it is easy to tell the differance between a black bear in the area and a Griz.

The Griz scat has little bells in it and it smells like pepper.
Ike,

That's pretty funny. I walked upon a huge balck bear, that I would estimate weighed 600lbs. That thing was huge. I was only 13 yds from him when I noticed him, as I rounded the corner into a clear cut. I tried not to startle him, but I also let him know I was there as well. I about crapped myself that day.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did read on the website somewhere to come back and refresh your knowledge. I dont know if that means they change the pictures around, etc.

Wyoming also has a voluntary test if you want to try some new pictures.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
MIssed one. The one with the female and cubs. I faked myself out and thought it was a grizzley, even though I thought it looked like a black I decided it was trick question. LOL..... Passing is worth nothing to me as I will never go after bears in Montana.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking for the trick question too. I actually got momma and cubs right though. I couldn't get past her cubs being black bears and her muzzle is decidedly tan.

I talked myself into thinking immature grizzly was the trick question. I thought grizzly but then said ears are too long and the muzzle was very narrow, but it was an Immature grizzly.

Tests like this are inept anyway. I took the test and could have put your name and address to it. No validation to it, same as not having one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.