Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday and Wed. I didn't hear a peep. Monday was pretty good but no bird. Tuesday was almost a carbon copy of Monday with calm wind in the morning getting windy as heck by 7:30. Wed. just sucked. Today was windy as all get out and sucked but by 7:30 we pulled into an old road with a burm across and started calling trying to strike one up. My buddy was tearin' it up with his mouth call and slate and I was hittin my slate. After about 10 minutes of this it was more about playing with our calls almost. I hit mine one morre time and low and behold, one gobbled about 1000 yds away. We got all of our stuff and headed out and the wind just got harder and we called for about 15 minutes off and on while we hiked. We got to where we thought he should be and I made a few soft calls to no avail so we sat down and chilled for a second and he gobbled again, about 200 yds up on a ridge. We started devising a plan and in about 1 1/2 minutes he gobbled again at 80 yds...he was coming. I told my friend to get set up and I would fade back and start calling for him since he's not killed a bird so far so i fell back about 30 yds. when I turned to sit down I could see right in that draw the bird was coming through and i had a bad feeling, if he was anywhere close, he would have seen me. we waited about 30 minutes and nothing. My buddy came to me and I told him that I probably spooked him and he said he heard the bird alert put 5 or 6 times headed away so that's probably what happened. I should have kept my butt still. I know better. :smack: Oh well, I'll be back in the morning Good luck in the rain tomorrow y'all...it may be the calmest day we've had all week :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
My parents are camping over at Albert Pike have been there since last monday!) and have yet to hear a gobble. 4 guys are camped next to them and they have yet to hear a gobble. Granted my dad hasn't been hunting much. Maybe 5 times counting the 3 times went with him over opening weekend. :up:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have not heard a turkey within ten miles of Albert Pike in the last two years. Twenty five years ago, it was like Missouri. Always heared 4 or 5 birds, and in the mid 80's, one morning, I heard 16, by a conservative count. It has changed a lot - all for the worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.