Molle II or large Alice pack?

Discussion in 'Reviews-Products/Gear/Guides/Outfitters' started by bernie, May 25, 2017.

1. bernie

bernie Well-Known Member

In the fall a couple of guys and myself are planning a 5 day pack-in deer hunt. I have a medium Alice pack with frame, but it will not carry enough to work for this trip. We are only going at most 3 or 3.5 miles in, so I don't necessarily need a super high dollar pack. As a matter of fact, I am really trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. I can get a large Alice ruck with a frame or a Molle II ruck and frame pretty reasonably. Which is the better system for those that have used them? I am familiar with the alice system, and the plastic frame of the Molle II honestly worries me some so I am leaning toward the alice. What are your thoughts?

2. armyguy

armyguy Well-Known Member

The Molle pack is pretty comfortable once you get it adjusted. You can use the molle straps on an ALICE pack, they are a little wider with better padding. As long as you don't throw the molle pack off the side of a mountain you will probably be ok.

3. Black_Foot

Black_Foot Well-Known Member

SW AR
    I always seemed to get more in the old metal frame Alice back than I ever could in the new MOLLE even with the two side sustainment pouches.

The Alice was more comfortable to me on long rucks to the point I carried it instead of the MOLLE. As far as durability, I've broken the frame on a couple of Alice packs but never broke the plastic frame on the MOLLE.

4. bernie

bernie Well-Known Member

I have a Medium Alice with frame that I have used for years. I also have a Summit climbing stand that I put the Molle II straps on to assist in carrying it. I believe that I am going to end up getting a large Alice and frame, and put the Molle II straps and kidney belt on it. I believe that will give me what I am looking for in this ruck.

armyguy likes this.
  5. bernie

bernie Well-Known Member

I got the large alice and frame and put Molle straps on it last night. I think that it is going to be a good pack for my uses. I had never been issued anything but a Medium Alice, so I did not know how big the large was going to be. I think that I could put a small horse in the large sized alice packs!