Moist Soil Unit??

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by split toe, Dec 17, 2012.

  1. split toe

    split toe Well-Known Member

    I am looking to put a moist soil unit in on private property, but would like the opinion of a "expert" aka biologist before I do anything. Does anybody know if the game and fish do anything like this?
  2. SwampCat

    SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

    NRCS will help you out. There may be some money available to help you out if you are willing to agree to one of the various "conservation easement" deals. Not sure where in SW AR that you are located - but is very common in the Red River Valley. You need to deal with NRCS folks who are familiar with this management practice and the available programs. There can be some permitting required, because typically these projects are built in areas of hydric soils (wetlands) and levee construction - (deposit of dredged or fill materials within wetlands of the US) will probably require a 404 permit from the Corps. But the NRCS should be able to get over the hurdles. I ended up building my area without easements or financial help - but you need to check it out yourself and see if their programs will work for you.

  3. split toe

    split toe Well-Known Member

    So will they (NRCS) come out and give you a free opinion on what I should do with the piece of land? The financial part of it is not really the problem, the problem is I'm not sure what to do with the piece of land, so I need somebody to survey it and give me their advice.
  4. csimco

    csimco Member

    Look into WHIP, aka wildlife habitat incentive program. It is a program ran by the NRCS. You can get a lot of it paid for. AGFC will help you set up a plan.
  5. wood duck whacker

    wood duck whacker Well-Known Member

    I tell ya it would be a cold day in hell before i put a moist soil unit in on my property. I have seen them ruin several duck holes. I would look into something else.
  6. SwampCat

    SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

    Yes - NRCS will come out free of charge and tell you what you might be able to do and what programs are available, application periods, potential costs, permits required and so forth. I had them come out and look at my place and in the end, did everything on my own- but they were very helpful. I don't manage mine strictly as most soil. Some years I plat it and some years I let it go all natural. Depends mostly on availability - or lack there of - of water. So far, duck hunting has been pretty consistent this year on my place. It is pretty small (10 acres) and has about three acres of water right now. It is slowly filling, flooding new food everyday.
  7. WILDMAN44

    WILDMAN44 Well-Known Member

    Fine advice. Talking to them is free. If you don't like what they have to say for whatever reason you as a landowner aren't bound to any commitment.

    It's definitely worth a shot.
  8. split toe

    split toe Well-Known Member

    Nice! We would have access to water and a pump to flood whatever we build, it is just figuring out what to do with the piece of land.
  9. smartweed

    smartweed Well-Known Member

    Agfc wetland coordinator does it as well as nrcs. Whip program is basically shut down. There are a few others though.