model 70

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by jwidner, Dec 24, 2012.

1. jwidner

jwidner Well-Known Member

I am about to buy a Winchester model 70 but I don't know which to buy. It was hard enough to make the decision to get the model 70 now I have choose which one to get. I really like the looks of the extreme weather ss but is it worth the extra money? How is the stock on the ultimate shadow? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

The extreme weather ss looks good to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

3. jwidner

I agree 10pointman. They look sweet.

4. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

I always prefer stainless/snythetic.

5. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

I had a bad experience with a model 70 and won't be a returning winchester customer. Purchased one afew years back in 300wsm. Was having problems getting it sighted in. Finally stopped trying and started studying the gun for defects. Found that the two sets of holes drilled for the scope mount were out of alignment. Close enough to mount scope but not on an axis with one another. Apparently, the company has gone down hill in terms of quality. Took the gun back to the dealer and traded for the same basic gun in a savage brand. Basically tore it down and blue printed the thing before I even considered shooting it. It was flawless in terms of quality. And cheaper than the Win. M70 too. Besides, the accu-trigger is a 'no need to modify' trigger group for my needs.

6. ursus

ursus Well-Known Member

My best friend has an extreme weather in .270 and it's awesome. The newest model 70s are the best that Winchester has ever put out IMO.

7. dave.s

dave.s Well-Known Member

I own an extreme weather ss in .270wsm and I love it! Just picked up a bunch of rcbs gear from my dad for christmas so im excited to really dial it in! The trigger is solid no creep or overtravel at all. The action is really smooth and simple.

8. jwidner

Thanks for the input. I am thinking of getting a 300 win mag or 300 wsm not sure yet. I can't wait to get it. It will be the first rifle I have ever bought.

9. dave.s

dave.s Well-Known Member

What are you going to use it for if you dont mind me asking? Why those caliber's?

10. jwidner

Dave.s, I have a model 70 in 270 and want a different caliber. Just thought If i ever get the chance to do some big game hunting I would have the gun to do it. I am defiantly open to suggestions. I also want to be able to deer hunt with the gun. If you have suggestions I want a long range caliber. Thanks!

11. dave.s

dave.s Well-Known Member

Well I grew up out in the north west and all I ever used was a 30-30 and 270 for distance as it shoots fast and flat. My father used a .300 wby mag and he loved that gun. It was a model 70 sporter. I upgraded to the .270 wsm mod70 extreme weather ss about 3 yrs ago and would not hesitate to take it elk hunting. Look at ballistic charts and bullet prices / availability before you make your choice though alot of people dont and they get shocked by how hard to find or expensive thier ammo is. Also compare the ballistics to the terrain and distances you will be hunting. I saw that .300mag punish the big bodied deer and bear up north and would assume it would decimate the little deer here in arkansas. IMO the .300 is a good fast flat shooting calibre and I dont think you could go wrong with it as long as you shoot lighter loads at smaller deer. Thats just my two cents. Goodluck!

12. jwidner

I called Fort Thompson and Gander Mountain this afternoon and they both told me they had no model 70's. They also told me they don't know how long it will be before they could get one. Just my luck :(

13. dave.s

dave.s Well-Known Member

Find the exact one you want get the product # and order through a retailer or a local ffl dealer. Ive had good success with buds online too.