Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few hours ago I saw on Facebook 2 hunters are missing they found the boat and one body and just want to tell everyone to be careful out there! The weather doesn't discriminate if your poor, rich, white, black, purple, orange, or anything else. Just pray for the families and be careful out there

·
Premium Member
20,274 Posts
That's sad to hear, my son and a couple of our friends are heading to the houseboat tomorrow . All the more reason to wear PFD's and kill switches. Accidents sure don't take long to happen and the consequences can be deadly. The Mississippi River is coming up high and fast this week, will not go near it!

·
Banned
6,084 Posts
That's sad to hear, my son and a couple of our friends are heading to the houseboat tomorrow . All the more reason to wear PFD's and kill switches. Accidents sure don't take long to happen and the consequences can be deadly. The Mississippi River is coming up high and fast this week, will not go near it!
I was checked by gw one December years and years ago at a ramp on a MS River oxbow. First thing he asked to see was pfd's, before guns, license, birds or anything else. We showed them and stated that we figured hypothermia would get us as soon as we hit the water anyway. He said, "probably, but, we will find you a lot faster for your families of you have them on." It was pretty sobering for a couple of young guys that thought we were invincible. I haven't gotten in a duck hunting boat without putting it on for the ride in or out since that day. Wear them. Maybe these guys had them on. I don't know. I will be praying for theses boys, their friends and their families.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This is horrible and tragic and I hope a lot of hunters that go out have this in the back of their minds. Im not saying this is what happened to these guys but I'm guilty of not wearing a life jacket, not hooking up my kill cord, boating too fast for conditions, the list goes on and on. Although this is a tragedy the coverage this is getting may save multiple hunters in the future from making bad and life threatening decisions, myself included.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
When you hit the water in conditions like yesterday - no life jacket in the world will save you. KAW is a big dangerous lake - I have encountered 6 foot waves on Kerr, it can turn deadly in matter of seconds. Hypothermia is a killer - very sad day - be safe out there Pray for these guys families - I would have loved to have been out in front of that storm when it rolled through yesterday. The tweet is a reminder to us all that things can change in the blink of an eye

·
Premium Member
20,274 Posts
I was checked by gw one December years and years ago at a ramp on a MS River oxbow. First thing he asked to see was pfd's, before guns, license, birds or anything else. We showed them and stated that we figured hypothermia would get us as soon as we hit the water anyway. He said, "probably, but, we will find you a lot faster for your families of you have them on." It was pretty sobering for a couple of young guys that thought we were invincible. I haven't gotten in a duck hunting boat without putting it on for the ride in or out since that day. Wear them. Maybe these guys had them on. I don't know. I will be praying for theses boys, their friends and their families.
That's exactly what they (GW) said to me, I go out to the mouth of the river from time to time and my respect for the Mississippi continues to grow. I try to stay close enough to the bank on the lake if something happens we have a chance to get to it. Anyone that rides with me is made to lay down in the bottom of the boat, this helps with seeing and less risk of them being thrown out. Speed is not a requirement, getting there and back is. I have a lighter and paper in a zip lock that I keep in my hunting jacket just in case. But to your point, sometimes all the prevention in the world doesn't help.

·
Banned
6,084 Posts
That's exactly what they (GW) said to me, I go out to the mouth of the river from time to time and my respect for the Mississippi continues to grow. I try to stay close enough to the bank on the lake if something happens we have a chance to get to it. Anyone that rides with me is made to lay down in the bottom of the boat, this helps with seeing and less risk of them being thrown out. Speed is not a requirement, getting there and back is. I have a lighter and paper in a zip lock that I keep in my hunting jacket just in case. But to your point, sometimes all the prevention in the world doesn't help.
The river is not for me. My grandad and his buddies hunted it exclusively out of downtown Memphis before us kids were around or were old enough to hunt. They gave it up and took up deer hunting when we were all old enough to start hunting. When a buddy of mine got me into duck hunting in the late 80's after I traded him a deer hunt for a duck hunt, I thought my mom and grandmother were going to break down in tears. All they knew about duck hunting was all the men they knew that never made it off the river. There was quite a few friends of theirs that they lost that way. Big water is a different ball game. It's just a really sad situation for these families. I couldn't imagine the waiting and wondering.

·
Registered
31,116 Posts
This is horrible and tragic and I hope a lot of hunters that go out have this in the back of their minds. Im not saying this is what happened to these guys but I'm guilty of not wearing a life jacket, not hooking up my kill cord, boating too fast for conditions, the list goes on and on. Although this is a tragedy the coverage this is getting may save multiple hunters in the future from making bad and life threatening decisions, myself included.
I always have my kill switch attached, but I'm guilty more often than not of not wearing my life jacket. I've really got to start making a conscious effort to wear mine.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The river is not for me. My grandad and his buddies hunted it exclusively out of downtown Memphis before us kids were around or were old enough to hunt. They gave it up and took up deer hunting when we were all old enough to start hunting. When a buddy of mine got me into duck hunting in the late 80's after I traded him a deer hunt for a duck hunt, I thought my mom and grandmother were going to break down in tears. All they knew about duck hunting was all the men they knew that never made it off the river. There was quite a few friends of theirs that they lost that way. Big water is a different ball game. It's just a really sad situation for these families. I couldn't imagine the waiting and wondering.
Big water like rivers and lakes have killed more duck hunters than the Bayou Meto boat race, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.