Missing a toe

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by fullcredit, Jan 1, 2008.

1. fullcredit

fullcredit Super Moderator

This is one of the rear feet of the deer I killed Friday. It's missing a "toe." I missed this deer a few days ago with my crossbow---I shot low. (Yes, there was a small tree between me and the deer, and I must have clipped the tree.)I just wonder if I shot the toe off????? I didn't see it laying there, and he wasn't limping that day. In fact, he didn't react hardly at all at the shot. The wound looked somewhat fresh and obviously swollen.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

If it looks like it does in the picture it'a already healed up, pooks like he lost it a long time ago.

3. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Well-Known Member

Yes, that is a older wound. For sure not a crossbow injury from just a few days ago. congratulations on the kill.

4. fullcredit

There was some redness there, but I figure it likely was an older injury. And now that I think about it, it likely wouldn't have happened with a broadside shot like I had.

5. Don't look like a really fresh wound to me. Does make ya curious as to what caused it, tho. :confused:

6. did you look at the others? Wonder if it might of had blue tounge at some point in its life and recovered?? The dmap biologist told us that was one of the effects, loss or damaged feet

7. Paul Jones

Paul Jones Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner

Yeah it could have something to do with blue tongue. I do know that it messes up the hooves, but i'm not sure if they will come completely off like that. :confused: The hooves on one I killed earlier this year were really messed up. I think he might have been a blue tongue survivor, but I'm no biologist.

8. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

hey FC, was the messed up toe on the opposite side as the messed up rack? might have had something to do with the injury. BG12

9. fullcredit

I think it was on the opposite side of the odd rack---hadn't thought about that.

10. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

WHAT??? You shot old missle-toe:smack:

11. :head: