Missed a Big Buck Yesterday/ What do we do?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rackrocker, Dec 29, 2010.

1. rackrocker

rackrocker Active Member

My boss missed a real big buck yesterday evening right at dark. The buck has been coming to our feeder and eating corn. After he shot the deer ran off but acted like they weren't sure what happened. They ran, stop, then trotted off. Will this deer come back to that area again? If not, any good strategies on this situation? He would like to try and get him with his bow. He was running with another buck, so it seems like they are really hard up for food.

2. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

If the 'big buck' is a mature buck, I wouldn't expect him to show up around there for awhile. And if he can still feed at that site during the dark.... I would probably start looking to find him at a different food source near his bedding area during daytime hours. (But then again, just about the time you think you have them figured out, they re-write the book :shrug:)

3. Whitetail Chaser

Whitetail Chaser Well-Known Member

I knicked one last Sunday. As far as I can tell he is still coming in but just a little later. I think I saw him just inside the woodline yesterday evening. He has a scrape line in there also. I believe if I can get my climber in there early enuff and get up the tree, maybe I can catch him staging there before he hits the feed. Your boss might try the same thing if its possible. Good Luck.

4. davglo35

davglo35 Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi

If he stopped and looked back, didn't see or smell a human and went on, he knows something happened but prolly not sure what. You can bet he will be more cautious for a while. I'd leave him alone and try again in a week or so.

5. Ozark hunter

Ozark hunter Well-Known Member

yup!
    if that is the easiest food source in the area he'll be back sooner than you think

6. x2

7. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

The key is whether or not they know what happened. Sounds like they didn't know were just startled by the arrow. If they didn't blow at you and hightail it out, then you are o.k., but best to give it a rest. If they blew, snorted and took off, then hang it up for a while.