Mink

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by NaturalStateNative, Dec 3, 2012.

1. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

Honestly I've never even seen one of the little guys before...which is why I have no idea where to trap one, but I'd like to catch one just to say I have. I know they stay along creek banks and such, but I was wondering how common they are on along the Arkansas river?

2. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I would guess very common. They run the banks and travel through drifts. They can swim like a fish too. You can lure them into pocket sets and catch them travelling in pipes.
    They can also be caught in blind sets where they enter the water where it is inconvenient to run the edge of the bank. A boar mink makes a pretty good size route and takes several days to make his travelling circle. They can be wary of traps that are on dry ground. They can be caught easily in traps that are under water and will step in uncovered ones as long as it is completely under. I caught one one time a mile from water in a den hole on a bluff in the hills. They can smell you and your traps if care isn't taken when making sets. There lies the advantage of setting under water.

3. quackandmild

quackandmild Well-Known Member

I've seen a few out at some of the minnow ponds in lonoke. I actually shot one once down in a brushy ditch out there thinking it was a dark colored squirrel.

4. NaturalStateNative

so do they stay under water long enough to use a 110 conibear for them here? since you can't put one on land

5. stevefulmer

stevefulmer Well-Known Member

I have a place on the White River up at Norfork and they are pretty common on the river bank up there.

6. dirt road kid

dirt road kid Well-Known Member

I have been hunting here for 20 years and trapping for 10 and have yet to see or catch a mink.

7. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

I do know they love muskrat and rabbit for there diet. Jokers are hard to catch. I will be trying some later. I read if on landz use small cubby boxes and 110s. They suppose like real dark places.

8. geslayton

geslayton Well-Known Member

I picked one up off the road this morning.

9. NaturalStateNative

I think I might get some 110's and try it out since I'm trapping near water anyway. After looking back at the game laws I guess a 110 or a little bigger is still legal to set on land? too bad you can't set one big enough to catch coon or mink so you arent specifically targeting mink with the land sets

10. frogleg

frogleg Well-Known Member

Yea 110 is legal on land. 160 is too.

11. NaturalStateNative

so what's the smallest size you would catch a coon in?

12. frogleg

frogleg Well-Known Member

I have caught them in 120's (a 110 with two springs) but if setting for coon I would go with the 160.

13. NaturalStateNative

I've never seen one in all of my years of hunting and fishing in and around water including frog gigging all night long several times a summer...I've heard of guys catching 20 or 30 out of the same general location but that's probably very rare.

14. NaturalStateNative

I was just thinking that it would be nice to have the opportunity to catch coon in your mink sets as well, in case the mink werent biting

15. jublain

jublain Well-Known Member

We have a lot of mink around our area, especially around the minnow ponds. We caught some babies when I was kid in Carlisle. We put em in a rabbit hutch and raised em up to full grown. They're some mean little suckers!

16. NaturalStateNative

Yeah they sound mean. I read lastnight that people farm them for fur, it doesn't sound alot different than raising rabbits because they are very premiscuous animals. They said even a domesticated mink can't be handled without gloves like a ferret or weasel

17. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Not near as many mink around as there used to be. Probably one of the few predators to decline in population. My favorite mink set - and coon set too - is a blind set. Find a steep, straight up and down creek bank that goes right into the water. You don't want this steep part to be very long - a foot or two up to ten or fifteen feet. It is best if there is a general, gradual slope of ground upstream and downstream of the steep bank. The mink and coons like to mess around feeding and plying on the flatter ground - then they move on to the next flat ground but the steep bank forces them to walk in the water along the steep bank. Put your trap in about two inches of water up pretty tight to the steep bank. If your traps are rusted or died - don't bother to cover them. After you find a few places like this, you will figure out the better ones. You will often times find that steep bank with a narrow underwater ledge next to it, with the ledge dropping off to deeper water. This is a killer spot. The deeper water next to the ledge forces them close to the step bank and the ledge along the steep bank is an underwater highway. Use drowning stakes if possible so the critters don'ttear up your set locAtion too bad.

18. hogfan1

hogfan1 Well-Known Member

I caught my first mink last year. I made a pocket with a 1 1/2 coil in front of it. I put a little of Lennons mink lure in the back of the hole. I caught a muskrat, it went down the drowner and expired. Thats when the mink came along and ate on the muskrat. I pulled the muskrat out of the trap and put it in the back of the pocket. The next day or two I had a nice buck mink waiting on me. That pocket turned out to be a productive set. It caught a muskrat, a mink, two coons, and a beaver.