Arkansas Hunting banner

Mini 30 to AK47

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  CR 
#1 ·
Picked up a mint mini last week synthetic and stainless with scope for $440. Went out with my brother to put some rounds thru it and was very dissapointed. It would not chamber the shells at all and had over 15 no fires out of 60 shells. Did some research and seems like they have a known problem of week firing pins. I took it back to the gunsmith that I got it from and explained the issue and he said give him a few days with it. Picked it up today and exact same thing. Anyways I had my mind made up to get my money back and kinda figured thats why the gun was traded in. Not his fault and he did give me my money back no problem. I guess I was really dissapointed in a Ruger of all guns to have this many issues. I am now thinking about an AK as my brother says they are as tuff as any gun on earth and I can buy bulk ammo and parts pretty easy.Any advice?He has a M70AB2 Yugo and loves it. Wish the Mini would have worked out as I loved the looks and feel :frown: . Also anyone have any experience with Olimpic Arms AR15? They are on sale for $600 and come with a lifetime warranty.

#2 ·
I don't know what ammo you were shooting in your mini, but the ones I have seen won't shoot steel cased ammo worth a crap. Several of our club members have them and they work fine with brass cased ammo, just not steel cased. I have a SAR-1 and it eats anything I run through it. Commie ammo for a commie gun.

As for the AR, Olympics don't have the best reputation on the AR boards. I don't own one, so I can't give a personal experience, just what I have read.

#4 ·
I tried Wolf and Siver Bear with about the same results. I think the gun was just a lemon and I wish it wasnt. I really liked the gun just dont think they were gona be able to fix it right. I really didint want to bite the money of sending it in to Ruger myself either. Thanks for the info on the AR I was afraid of that for the price.

#5 ·
Olympic has had some past quality issues, but as of now they are a government supplier. I would look at a DPMS, they can be had pretty cheap form Del-ton.

As for the AK, I have a WASR-10 (Romanian AK) that is unstoppable. It will fire anything and not care. Most all of the AK's have chrome barrels and chambers. Chinese and Yugo's enjoy a great rep, as do the Romanian.

#6 ·
That is a bummer about the mini. They are a nice looking rifle. AK are not as refined in the looks department but they are VERY reliable. Rain, sleet, snow, mud nothing short of wet concrete will stop them. There many different clones of the AK style gun. Depending on what you want to spend and what caliber you want to shoot. AK's come in 223, 7.62x39, 308 and even some other less common chambering. The cream of the crop in the AK world is the Valmets and Galils, those cost the most $$ but they are the top of the line. The Russian Saiga is an AK with a "less evil looking stock" but these can be converted over to the traditional AK configuration without to much hassle. The cheapest of the breed are the Yugo, Chineese and Romanian AK. ALL are very reliable, it is inherent in their simply design. You can not go wrong with an AK.

#8 ·
I would advise that you sell her off and locate a SAR-1, WSAR-1 (inexpensive Romanian AK's), or my personal pick an SAM-7 or SLR-101-S (more expensive milled receiver Bulgarian AK's manufactured my Arsenal inc. Las Vegas). These AK's will outperform your Mini hands down, and the Bulgarian's will shoot as good if not better. They will also save you big money compared to re-loading, or purchasing expensive re-loadable brass cased 7.62 ammo to make your gun function, and don't forget inexpensive and plentiful rock solid magazines.
As for AR's many follow the A,B,C's (Armalight, Bushmaster, Colt) as this is a fool proof method of getting a great rifle. I like you was not wanting to drop big money for a AR. I purchased a Mini-14 Ranch in stainless for half the money of an AR, and discovered pretty quick between accuracy, functioning, and reliable inexpensive and easy to locate magazines that the Mini, although a serviceable weapon was half the price because it was half the rifle. I sold her off and now own 2 AR rifles, a Colt, and a Bushmaster that both outperform my Mini in every measurable way.

#9 ·
Went this morning and looked at several DPMS. Any thoughts? All the dealers said they were very well built and had great support. Found a 7.62 model with collapsable stock for $800. They said the .223 were slowing in sales because of the ammo price increase. Now I am thinking $500 for an AK or $800 for an AR. Or buy an SKS for $185 and A LOT OF AMMO :biggrin: for the price difference.

#10 ·
Went this morning and looked at several DPMS. Any thoughts? All the dealers said they were very well built and had great support. Found a 7.62 model with collapsable stock for $800. They said the .223 were slowing in sales because of the ammo price increase. Now I am thinking $500 for an AK or $800 for an AR. Or buy an SKS for $185 and A LOT OF AMMO :biggrin: for the price difference.
I've been toting an SKS for 15 years and I've never had any problems.:thumb:

I've killed more deer and critters with that rifle than all my other ones combined. It's a slayer.

#11 ·
DMPS has a good rep, but don't forget about the magazine prices or availability. The AK is best IMO for that cartridge and even if the assault weapons ban goes back on the mags are a dime a dozen. The SKS is a fine rifle, but if you want firepower that 30 rounder USA magazines makes to make it more "AK" like just turns it into a jam-o-matic.

#13 ·
Nontypical, did you check out Trent's? He had several AR's last time i was there.
Yes I did and he was the best price. I went ahead and dropped the hammer and ordered a M70AB2 YUGO underfold AK. Just seems with ammo and ease of getting clips and parts from all accounts this is the way I needed to go. Hope I am happy with it.:biggrin: Trent had a DPMS nib with case and 2 clips for $750 in.223. I just need to come up with the money for that to be my next gun.:wink:

#14 ·
I have an Olympic and just love it. Not one single mis-fire in several hundred rounds, accurate, and seems to be very well made.

They do get bashed on my the AR elitists and I just haven't figured out why yet. I know I got mine for a lot less than a Bushmaster or a DPMS or a Colt.

#15 ·
I have a WASR-10. ATI Dragunov synthetic stock, and B squared scope mount. with a 4x12x40 Bushnell setting on top of it. it is as accurate as i can hold it and will shoot anyting. i burn a lot of golden tiger FMJ and wolf military classic hollow points through it with no complaints. mags are cheap and plentiful as is ammo. i have 350$ in the rifle, scope, and case....can't complain about that at all:thumb:. i looked at a mini but they are out of my price range for the most part.

luke:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.