Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Di-calcium phosphate (50lbs), trace mineral salt(100 lbs.), and stock salt (50lbs. today to make a mineral lick. This is 200lbs. total, it says in the recipe to dig a hole 3' round 6" deep and mix it in the dirt. My question is how much do you put in this 3' hole? Do you put all 200lbs. or what? I found this recipe in several places but have not seen anywhere how much to use

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I bought the Di-calcium phosphate (50lbs), trace mineral salt(100 lbs.), and stock salt (50lbs. today to make a mineral lick. This is 200lbs. total, it says in the recipe to dig a hole 3' round 6" deep and mix it in the dirt. My question is how much do you put in this 3' hole? Do you put all 200lbs. or what? I found this recipe in several places but have not seen anywhere how much to use
Cory Gray (AGFC Deer Biologist) told our club a couple years ago to NOT put salt or minerals in a hole in the ground. He said that the hole will eventually hold water and become infested with bacteria and other germs that will be spread thoughout the herd. He suggested that we use a feeding trough type of feeder. :twocents:

.270Win

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Cory Gray (AGFC Deer Biologist) told our club a couple years ago to NOT put salt or minerals in a hole in the ground. He said that the hole will eventually hold water and become infested with bacteria and other germs that will be spread thoughout the herd. He suggested that we use a feeding trough type of feeder. :twocents:

.270Win
you can say that again, i gotta mini Great Salt Lake in a spot, holds water almost year around

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I put it out on stumps. Hardwood like a red oak or white oak stump.
I only put probably about 30 to 40 pounds at each sight.

I don't like the idea of mixing it in the ground. I also use a trough to put it in.
Kind of like a cattle trough.

heres one stump

1 - 4 of 4 Posts