Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a good metal detector. I read somewhere on here people talking about a certain detector that was less expensive than others but performed just as well.

Let me know what you recommend. I'm looking to spend no more than $200.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Get a discovery 3300. They are made by bounty hunter. I got one for the wife and after using it, I like it better than my mine-lab, which cost almost three times as much. The discovery is easy to use and does a good job.
If you get one, be sure and get a set of head phones, that has a volume adjustment for each ear. This will make the battery's last several times longer. ( the individual volume allows you to adjust the volume for each ear.)

·
Registered
21,921 Posts
Garrett AT Pro - and a Garrett Pinpointer

more than $200 (maybe $600) but you get what you pay for and a cheap detector is, well .... cheap.

spend the money on a Garrett Pinpointer, I cannot imagine metal detecting without it - bought a cheap Bounty Hunter $70 pinpointer at Bass Pro and it sucked in comparison

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
If we are going to ignore the $200.00 price range, why settle for a cheap Garrett AT Pro? Get a minelab GPX 4800 ($4,995.00) but you get what you pay for, and a cheap detector is, well ..... cheap.

·
Premium Member
8,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, we are NOT going to ignore the price but $200 seemed like a good starting point. I'm not going to finance a metal detector, lol

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Lol, we are NOT going to ignore the price but $200 seemed like a good starting point. I'm not going to finance a metal detector, lol
Actually, I think you would be quite pleased with the Discovery 3300. My Minelab cost almost 3x as much, but the wife's Discovery will do anything that my Minelab does.
(My ignore post was for stealthy, suggesting one that cost 3x what you wanted to spend.)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
The best one that I have ever used that is close to that price range is a Tesoro Cibola. It is easy to use more or less a turn on and go. It has a decent ground balance and discriminator settings. It will run more towards 300 or so but you will never buy another if you do not metal detect a lot. I have used it at swimming holes, on the bank and shallow water. You can get the search coil wet but not the box that the circuits are in. I have found coins, gold rings, silver rings, silver coins, clad coins, Civil War bullets, a CW sword, a US belt buckle and gobs of stuff around old house places and enough iron parts from wagons to build one. If you decide to get a Cibola or any other detector let me. I have a friend that sells Metal Detectors for a living and he usually makes people great deals...d2

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a very nice Bounty Hunter LAND STAR at Ebay for just $80. I researched the model for
NIB price and user reviews. New
Price was about $430? Unit shows no sign of previous use.
It's sweet & @ $80. I'm very
content w/it. I bought 2 more
Bounty Hunters as Xmas gifts.
BTW/my Land Star also came w/pin pointer-!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts