Merriam hybrid?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by 25/06, Dec 29, 2010.

1. 25/06

25/06 Well-Known Member

A buddy I hunt/work with is planning a trip to Nebraska this spring. The fellow where he is planning on going said there are alot of Merriam hybrids at his place. What exactly is a Merriam hybrid? I'm assuming its a Merriam Rio mix. :head:

2. Clear_Shot

Clear_Shot Well-Known Member

That's exactly what it is. And they are a BLAST to hunt. They RUN to a good call and decoy!

3. biggobs

biggobs Well-Known Member

Yep, Merriam/Rio mix. They are like hunting barnyard turkeys sometimes. Sure don't compare to hard gobbling mountain Eastern but still fun to shoot.

4. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    They have easterns in NE too. Could be hybrid between those two. I believe there's some overlap.

The NWTF has some maps to show subspecies distribution. They give you an idea, but they're far from 100% accurate. From personal experience, I know that there's Rio's much further east in OK and KS than the last map I saw showed.

5. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    This got me to thinking... Here's that map:
    http://www.nwtf.org/images/range_map_full.jpg

I may be wrong. Most of NE shows as hybrid. I'm not sure if that means Rio or Eastern. I could have sworn my buddy that went there 2 years ago said there was some Eastern in them. He killed 1 that looked mostly Merriam, but I dont remember what the other looked like.

6. LedZhead20

LedZhead20 Well-Known Member

Why is the one spot in the middle of Kansas Easterns?

7. Dermott

Dermott Well-Known Member

I believe it is because the habitat in that part of Kansas is ideal for Easterns and not conducive to Rios.

Someone mentioned their experience is that Rios are further into Eastern Kansas than the map indicates. In SEK where I have hunted I have never seen a Rio or Rio hybrid.

Steve/"Dermott"

8. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

One area of KS we have hunted with Rio/Eastern hybrids we have killed a hard, deep gobbling turkey with all the characteristics of an Eastern, such as darker brown tipped tail feathers. Looks like one you would kill in Arkansas o Missouri. Within the hour and within a few hundred yards, we have killed a high-pitched gobbling turkey with all the Rio characteristics, such as the very light tipped tail feathers. Two totally different looking turkeys with characteristics of the different species.

9. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

Myself and a Kansas friend called in 4 longbeards one afternoon. They gobbled like Rios. 2 of them had lighter colored fans while the other 2 had the darker Eastern features. It's cool hunting them in that Hybrid zone, it's like Forrest said, "you never know what yore gonna get".