mercury outboards

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by arkhuntingkp, Jan 2, 2011.

1. arkhuntingkp

arkhuntingkp Well-Known Member

I have a 50 HP ELPTO 2 stroke engine. I have the serial numbers and everything but I am trying to find the year that the motor was built in. I bought the boat new last year with new motor (supposedly) but have found information stating that these motors haven't been built since 2007 or 2008. I am having some problems and warrenty doesn't want to cover but I feel the issue is that the motor is actually 3 or 4 years old, not 10 months. Is there a website or anything that I can find put in the serial number and find the manufactured date of the engine. I have found sites that cover mercury motors up to 1996 but need something current. Thanks for the help.

2. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

ark, look on the serial # tag that is located on the transom bracket. Most are found on the starboard side of the bracket. It will have the year of mfg printed on the tag. Have you taken it to the dealership or are we still talking about the impeller not being a warrantied item? Also, being a 'package boat', if you purchased the boat 'new' but it is say an '08 model, chances are good the motor is the same year model. Be sure to keep us informed of how things go and what the problem turns out to be. Good luck, QC

3. arkhuntingkp

yes it is referring to the same problem. Bbeing that the dealership is closed until tuesday, I have been doing some research online and found where my particular motor has not been made since 2008. However, I did find where mine was manufactured in August 2009, so buying the boat in March of 2010 isn't that big of a time span. I had read where new motors that set up for a time (including my particular motor) before being ran, that the impeller would become fixed in its position and not function correctly. I am just trying to gather all of the information I can because I feel that they are going to say it isn't covered under warranty and I am going to be very upset paying a repair bill on a motor that has less than 20 hours on it.

4. QCDually5.9

I don't think the cause will be found to be that it has 'set', being that late of a model. I can see your frustration about the low hours and it's possible that the dealership will take care of you. Even if it's at their own expense. Has the motor been started out of the water?

5. arkhuntingkp

Never without water. The only time it was started while on the trailer was after finding low to no water out of hole and we hooked it to muffs when we got back home.

6. arkhuntingkp

for those of you following...I took the boat into Bradford Marine today and got everything fixed...I am over an hour away and they took the time to check it within 30 minutes of dropping it so to determine problem while I ran other errands in LR. The problem ended up being debri in the inner line caused from the factory. They blew the lines out and all checked fine after that. I received a call while still in LR saying my boat was ready to pick up at no charge. I am very happy with the result and the customer service. I am glad that I didn't get a lemon motor and was looking into further problems in the near future. Can't wait for a warm up and some fishing weather. Good Luck to everyone this spring!

7. QCDually5.9

Excellent!!! Glad to hear. Sounds like they took care of their customer. I'd bet at their own expense.