Mercury 50 ELPTO

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by arkhuntingkp, Dec 30, 2010.

1. arkhuntingkp

arkhuntingkp Well-Known Member

I bought a bass tracker txw175 last year with a Mercury 50HP ELPTO. The water output was never the best but was always suitable to keep the engine cooled. After setting up a couple months, I took boat out the other day and started after fishing some brush piles close to ramp. Water would come out of pee hole when idling but not when engine reved up. I shut engine down and loaded. Hooked up muffs at house to force water through and it did the same thing as on the water. The motor doesn't have 20 hrs on it. Could it be the impeller already needs replaced? We did check to see if it was stopped up and the line is clear. No debris or dirt daubers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

Hey ark. Are we talking about a new engine or a new to you engine? The impeller is the first thing to check. It's condition will needed to be known before we can go to the next step. If you end up checking the impeller yourself, it will need to be completely removed and not just inspected with top housing removed. If the impeller looks bad, you've found the problem. If it looks ok, pay close attention to the plastic insert of the impeller. I have seen several impellers over the years that have had the insert 'spun' (kind of like a hub in a prop). And it will always give you the problem as you describe it. Will pump water at low rpms but will not pump at higher. (again, much like a spun prop hub... will idle you out but will break free and spin when put under a load) Good luck :up:

3. Ozone

Ozone Well-Known Member

Good Points!

4. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

If you need to replace the impeller it's really easy to do, and cheap. I've replaced one on those 50 Horse elpto's all you got to do is, pull those 4 bolts from your lower unit and it should drop down a little bit, exposing the driveshaft, once you expose the driveshaft there is a bolt you'll have to loosen on the shaft that way you can drop it completely down, once you do this the impeller will be exposed and you can replace it, just remember you need to change out the lower unit fluid when you do this:up:

5. QCDually5.9

Dont forget the one hiding under the trim tab coon. You'll have that fella spun out with a prybar after all of us.

6. coonnutz

Oh yeah I foregot about that one:up:

Thanks for the reminder, been a couple of years since I've had to do one.

7. coonnutz

If it is only a year old and actually is new then it should still be under warranty, and the dealership should replace it for you:up:

8. QCDually5.9

HOLD UP!!! Let's don't get the boy's hopes up. Last I checked, the impeller was still on the 'non-covered' list as it is a 'normal wear' item. Kind of like the prop. But, with that said, I have seen afew times where it can be done if it can be articulated that the part was defective from the factory. Not an often occurance. But it has been done. :whistle:

9. arkhuntingkp

arkhuntingkp Well-Known Member

it is a new motor and boat...bought in March of 2010...the motor is under waranty but I hate to take it in and like said...they say it isn't covered and want to charge me a couple hundred dollars when I could do it for 20 or so...

10. QCDually5.9

I would do this. Since it is new, I would NOT start working on it just yet. I mean, the last thing you want to do is end up taking the motor up there with problems you couldn't find and problems you may have caused....
    Hook it back up to the waterhose/muffs with the motor in a vertical position (not up/not in). Start it up. Look for water at these locations.
    1) obviously, the tell tail. 2) the center of the prop should have a good flow of water pouring out of it. 3) the relief ports that are located below the engine on the mid section. It will take a minute for it to get there.
    If you start it up and it's watering at the prop, let it continue running. You should see the other two. If the tell tail is the only thing not streaming water. You may need to use compressed air to open it up. At the very least, take the cowling off and unhook the line from the block to see if you have water at that point.
    If water does not show up at the listed locations, shut it down and get it back to your dealer.

11. coonnutz

Screw that! if the motor only has 20Hrs on it, there ain't no reason on this earth for the Impeller to be going out that quick. If you are concerned about them charging you a couple of hundred bucks then call and ask if it's covered under the warranty.

For the record that pee hole is just a visual aid to make sure the water pump is working:up:

I myself would go the compressed air route first, then hook it up to a set of ears and run it. JMO:shrug:

12. QCDually5.9

Backup coon. I can give you one easy reason that impeller could be out. If the motor was started and ran for any length of time out of the water.
    If the motor has NOT been started out of the water, the impeller should be good with no more hours then that. If he takes it to the dealer and the impeller is melted. Expect to pay. If he takes it to the dealer and it's a clogged tell tail, he may have to pay a half or one hour min. fee for basic checks of all systems. And it doesn't matter if he wants to start with the compressed air or not. More then one way to skin a cat. I just prefer to see the problem and then see it cleared. That way I know what the problem was and that I know it to be fixed. Comes in very handy when speaking with customers.

One last thing. a 50ELPTO is a 50hp Electric start, Long shaft, PowerTrim, Oil injected engine. Oil injected being the key word. Oil injection refers to 2strokes. Mercury has not produced a 2stroke 50hp engine for several years. If he has a 'new' 2stroke, it's been in storage and is several years old. Including that 'new' piece of rubber.... the impeller. And impellers can and will decay with time. Even if they are just sitting there. Good luck

13. coonnutz

Good point:up:

Wasn't trying to be a butthead, even if it came across as that.