Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a compound pulling a hair over 45. I shoot 100gr nap expandables in my crossbow, will they do good in the compound? Crossbow shot about 230fps, this bow is shooting around 190 probably. I have 25" draw and limit shots to 20 yards. I have never had a mechanical fail, been shooting nap scorpions, wasp jackhammer sst, and have some rage(yet to use). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
just my opinion, NO! I would stick with a montec, hellrazor, or something cut on contact. IMO you don't have enough KE to penetrate good with that broadhead. My wife pulls that and shoots the montec 100gr. No problems on hogs and rams. I shoot 60lbs and didn't have good luck with those. Didn't get pass thru's, however did recover deer.

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,314 Posts
I have a compound pulling a hair over 45. I shoot 100gr nap expandables in my crossbow, will they do good in the compound? Crossbow shot about 230fps, this bow is shooting around 190 probably. I have 25" draw and limit shots to 20 yards. I have never had a mechanical fail, been shooting nap scorpions, wasp jackhammer sst, and have some rage(yet to use). Thanks.
I would not suggest it.... Go with a cut on contact head for that draw weight.

Your crossbow was shooting a MUCH heavier arrow than you are probably shoot out of a 45# bow. At 25" draw and 45# and reaching 190fps you are not shooting a real heavy arrow and not carrying enough momentem for an expandable. IMO

Good luck this year !

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My arrows are carbon fury 45-60's. I'm getting some 55-75 carbon express from my dad. What about 50# and an expandable? I'm just trying to get something that flies like a field point and does the job. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks so far.

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,314 Posts
Lots of good choices in fixed blades that "fly" like field points. I have seen expandables shoot 6 and 8 inches from where field points hit. Having a bow that is in tune is far more important in getting good broadhead flight.

I would also say that going to those 5575 arrows could cause you even more problems. Light poundage bows typically do not react well with an over spined arrow.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'm with the rest of the guys. I wouldn't try mechanicals with that low KE. Make sure your bow is in tune and go with a quality fixed blade. I shoot SlickTricks and they shoot just like my field points.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
dude, don't sell yourself short. tune your bow for your broadhead since that is what counts. if your field points and bh's don't shoot the same who cares. its the bh that counts! when you shoot your field points, just note what the difference is and adjust. the cut on contacts that have been mentioned are great b/c you can reuse them without having to buy replacement blades. shoot em and resharpen them. the montecs are very simple to sharpen. hell razors, razor caps are a little tougher and require more than five minutes per head b/c of the tougher steel. you could also tune your bow to shoot the bh's like your field points. I have about 3 arrows with bh's just for practice. the others are in the quiver to hunt with. your poundage even at 50lbs IMO is still under gunned. Kinda like going to war with a pellet gun. you just won't get far.

Mechanicals are way too often used b/c people don't want to spend there time tuning there setup to make there bh's and field points shoot the same. I am guilty with this also with one of my bows. It is my competition bow and I find it easier to just shoot mechanicals with it as I really haven't had the time to tune them together. But, I am shooting 65 lbs also. I think 60-65 lbs is minimum for the mechanicals to function properly with the appropriate KE required.

Just my 2 cents again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.