Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering is there any let off on a cross bow ? i wanted to know when you go to pull string back if there is or not. that's on a compound one. my guess is no. i would hate to pull back on one the it let off and fall back on your rear end un unexpectedly :wink:

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I've got an older Horton 150# compound cross bow, and there is considerable let-off on it. Makes it heaps easier to get the string perfectly aligned in the latch. If I had to struggle with all 150 pounds during that critical process, I'd blow a disk or pop a hernie or worse! :eek:

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks what model do you have ? i was thinking of a re curve CB. well now i think i will rule them out . is it recommended for long term storage to un string the bow ? i see some have fiberglass limbs. if fiberglass is bent long enough it will take a set. ever had a old fishing rod setting in a corner or against a wall for a long time. you will look down the length of the rod you will see it's bent some. but graphite rods don't seem to do that. i also seen something that you need to (lube the rails) ?:head:

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Mine's the old Horton Hunter, and I can't find a model number or any other designations on it. I tried pulling it a little this afternoon, and while it's got let-off, you're still holding quite a bit latching it up. I don't have a scale, or I'd measure that for you. I'm just greatful for what break I get!

· Registered
1,139 Posts
thanks what model do you have ? i was thinking of a re curve CB. well now i think i will rule them out . is it recommended for long term storage to un string the bow ? i see some have fiberglass limbs. if fiberglass is bent long enough it will take a set. ever had a old fishing rod setting in a corner or against a wall for a long time. you will look down the length of the rod you will see it's bent some. but graphite rods don't seem to do that. i also seen something that you need to (lube the rails) ?:head:
I wouldn't mess with a recurve if I were you. The wheels are the way to go. I used to loosen up the strings for Summer storeage but I got lazy a few years ago and have left them tight without any loss of pull. Waxing the rails is a good idea. It protects the serving on the string so it doesn't fray as fast. Putting some wax both on the rails and servings is probably a good idea. The string I have right now has been on the bow for maybe ten years and still looks/feels good. I've never heard of limbs taking any kind of "set" but I guess it could happen. As mentioned somewhere above, I have had this Horton Supermag for many years and it has never given me a problem. I tried single pin, triple pin, pendulum and finally a 4x scope and for me, the scope brings home the most venison.

Cheers....

· Registered
1,139 Posts
thanks that's good to know. do you use bee's wax like you would on the on the string.? for the rail and servings ?
If it's not bee's wax, it something very close to it. Mine is in a tube which looks like a large chapstick. You can buy it at BassPro or anywhere that sells crossbows, I would expect. Just rub it on the rails and the serving on the cable and it cuts down on wear and tear and friction. Once the serving gets frayed up, it'll break and unravel and then you either have to replace the serving, which can be done but is a bit tricky, or you have to replace the cable which can also be a bit tricky. So best to keep the serving waxed to make it last longer.

Cheers.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.