Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Persimmons are loaded up here too. When I was walking around in the woods last weekend, there was already a bunch of hickory nuts on the ground.
Should be tons of white oaks, but I havent noticed much on red oaks up here. Last year's frost should have got them.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Soft mast is really good. Apples, persimmon, and dogwood are loaded.

Hard mast is also really good in the white oak group.

Squirrels are really cutting hickory nuts now.

Red Oaks are not doing it this years around here. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
In my area (Arkansas River Valley), the persimmons and white oaks are loaded. The post oaks on the hill where I live are loaded too. But the 2 weeks of 100+ degree heat we had has taken a toll on them. I doubt the acorns on them will mature because their leaves are turning yellow and falling off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
White oak and post oak are heavier than i've seen maybe ever. Persimmon, muscadine, possum grape, hickory nut, all mast with the exception of red oak is loaded this year. You know we had that freeze a year ago April and they claim red oak crops are determined by the previous years blossoms, so they would have been killed by the freeze spring 2007.

·
Super Moderator
9,915 Posts
Thanks to all the rain we've gotten this year and the mild weather, Expert Rye Bailey predicts this upcoming mast crop to be above average this year.

With the exception of the March Snowfall, thanks to Global Warming, I figure the acorn crop this year will be excellent. At least, better than the past 2-3 years. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.