Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a Marlin 45-70 guide gun with an 18.5" barrel, and was wondering if anyone knew the range of this gun? I have heard and read conflicting information.. some say no more than 150 yards, and some say up to 500 ... anyway, this gun only has an 18inch barrel.. so, how will that affect distance?? Most shots will be within 100 yards, but I may get a 200 yard shot from time to time, and sure like the size of this gun..??..??

·
Registered
312 Posts
The gun is good for what ever distance you can hit something with it. The only problem is that it really starts to drop with longer range shots. Just for an example, remingtons factory 300 gr. bullet will drop over 13 inches at 200 yards if you had it sighted dead on at 100 yards. Thats a lot of hold over. hornady makes some good ammo that will flatten that out a bit but not much. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
585 Posts
200 yards would be pushing it for most shooters with a 45-70. to be zeroed at 200 you would have to be fairly high at 100 and 150. It has a rainbow like trajectory. Most factory loads shoot a 300 to 350 grain bullet less that 2000 fps. The new hornady's claim more. It is a great rifle and hits like a sledge hammer. My opinion is it's at its best inside 125 yards.

·
Administrator
90,684 Posts
I agree with the above posts. Longer shots are possible, but probably not practical unless a guy has practiced a LOT at long range and knows the distance to the target.

The "standard" Remington load of a 405 grain at ~1300 FPS will kill anything on the North American continent, and has for years. I load a 300 grain Remigton JHP at 2170 fps for little over 3200 FPE. It is a devastating load, and hits hard on both ends. I use my 45/70 for woods hunting, up to 150 yards or so. The 18.5" guide gun won't lose that much over the 22" barrel, especially since these aren't high velocity rounds. Mine is sighted dead on at 50 yards and I can hold right on to 150 with no worries.

Heck, lever guns are fun to shoot and hunt with, go for it!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been reading some great reviews on the new Marlin 308 Express round. Comes stainless 308mxlr. Anybody own one of these?? Apparantly, it just came out in 2007... supposed to be a 400 yard lever gun... not sure about that...??..??

·
Administrator
90,684 Posts
Basically the same ballistics as a 308 Winchester in a rimmed version. Can anyone say "307 Winchester deja vu??"

Personally, since we already had the 307 Win, I think Marlin was just looking for something to put their name on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.