Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all you gun experts out there. :biggrin: I have a Marlin 3081 Alamo Commemorative 30-30 and I refinished the stock on it last year and it looks great now...but I don't want to bang it all up and had a question about a replacement stock. Anyone know if a Marlin 336 stock is interchangeable?? Of course there are TONS of 336 stocks out there but hard to find any for the 3081 (I think its a special model number for just the commemorative gun). So, anyone know the answer to this? I mean I can use it now, I just don't want to bang up the commemorative stock you know if I could get a cheap 336 stock and throw on there for when i go hunting.

Here's my stock after I refinished it so it looks good right now... I just don't want to mess it up.

Thanks!

· Administrator
91,832 Posts
Yes, a Marlin 336 pistol grip stock will fit. Since it has been refinished that has removed any "collector" value it may have had. That wood looks like birch, so if it was me I'd just use it and not worry about it. If it was black walnut it might be a different story.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, a Marlin 336 pistol grip stock will fit. Since it has been refinished that has removed any "collector" value it may have had. That wood looks like birch, so if it was me I'd just use it and not worry about it. If it was black walnut it might be a different story.
Yeah I wasn't too worried about collectors value. ha These don't have much of that anyway. ha :biggrin: I would like it to be a little darker wood though. Hmmm, maybe I need to just get some darker finish and put it on there. Hmmm :head: That may be the ticket.

· Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei
12,171 Posts
Bear in mind that if you find a walnut stock for it, you'll add weight.

Surely somebody makes a synthetic, light stock to make your hunting trips easier and worry-free.
Ladies and Gents, I give you "The Meatstick" I got this black synthetic stock put on my ole meatstick 4 years ago after it got ran over and broke the walnut stock. I believe it is called Johns Gun Shop??? on Arch street. It only cost $70 for forearm and stock and I LOVE it. I havent seen another like mine!!

· Registered
7,965 Posts
If you want to darken up one of those light hardwood stocks, I used some Minwax mahogony stain on an H&R single shot shotgun and I'll be darned if it did not turn out pretty nice. I was practicing before I tackled a bigger project and was happy all the way around.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to darken up one of those light hardwood stocks, I used some Minwax mahogony stain on an H&R single shot shotgun and I'll be darned if it did not turn out pretty nice. I was practicing before I tackled a bigger project and was happy all the way around.
Yeah I was wondering if I could just hit it with some steel wool and then use the same brand stain I used and get a darker shade and go over whats on there. Would that work? (mineral spirits bath after steel wool of course.:biggrin:)

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
478 Posts
I just measured my 444S and 336RC 30.30 and ironically at just past the forend stock they both measure very very close to .665. This is in no way to suggest you make a purchase based on this. I was just measuring them to satisfy my own curiosity!

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just measured my 444S and 336RC 30.30 and ironically at just past the forend stock they both measure very very close to .665. This is in no way to suggest you make a purchase based on this. I was just measuring them to satisfy my own curiosity!
Thanks for measuring! But darn you, now I don't know what to do! haha :biggrin:

· Administrator
91,832 Posts
Are you really sure you want to spend $120 + shipping to replace a birch hardwood stock with a laminated stock? The laminated stock is better than the birch. Birch stocks are basic utility stocks.

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Are you really sure you want to spend $120 + shipping to replace a birch hardwood stock with a laminated stock? The laminated stock is better than the birch. Birch stocks are basic utility stocks.
I do like the look of the laminated stock. The plastic ones are way cheeper and looking at GP's rig, they ain't too bad to look at either!

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I just like the looks of the laminated stock. Always have and always kind of wanted a gun with a laminated stock. I don't know what I'll do though. :biggrin: I'm still also debating if I could just take some steel wool, go over the existing stock with it, and then put a coat of a little darker stain over it to darken it up just a tad. If I use the same brand stain, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I used I think it was Minwax Polyshades (I still have the can at home so can make sure) but I think if I get another small can of the Polyshades in a darker color and go over it, that should work. If not, I'll just have to strip it down again and redo it with darker from the get-go. :biggrin: I like redoing guns anyway so I'll be fine either way. haha

· Registered
180 Posts
I also have a Alamo 3081 bought new in 1984 or '85. I have since then striped my stock and fore arm and stained it darker.I like the looks of it.I've been looking for a synthetic stock so now I know where to find one,Thanks to Got Pork.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK so put a WTB thread on a marlin forum and someone had the EXACT laminate stock set like I found on ebay. He bought it for his 336 30-30 but his gun has the barrel band on the forearm and the stock set he bought was for the end cap style forearm...like mine. So, it wouldn't work on his. How much did he want? Well, he paid $134 for it he said and he told me if I ordered him a certain sling he wanted, he'd send me the stock set. :biggrin: So I ordered him the sling for $63 and he put the stock set in the mail today to me. Should be here Monday according to tracking #. I'll be sure and post pictures when I get it. :thumb:

· Registered
3,599 Posts
Ladies and Gents, I give you "The Meatstick" I got this black synthetic stock put on my ole meatstick 4 years ago after it got ran over and broke the walnut stock. I believe it is called Johns Gun Shop??? on Arch street. It only cost $70 for forearm and stock and I LOVE it. I havent seen another like mine!!
Porkie,
I love it. I got my ole marlin that was my first center fire rifle. had it well over 20yrs and it is a little beat up. I might just have to contact John's? a call. did they make it or order it?

Mwm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.