Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking a the 209 dollar Marlin at Wal-mart. I looks like it can be a good gun. I hunt WMA and everybody knows the rule on centerfires. Let me know if you have this gun and like or dislike. What distance is the gun good for? Any storys on using a .17?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I have killed many critters with the HMR. Everything from crows to coyotes. If you go for larger animals such as coyotes, make sure you use the 20gr. Hollow point and keep it less than 150 yards. You may need 2 shots on some coyotes though. Make sure that you do NOT use the ballistic tips on them. It will drop them, but not penetrate enough to hit organs.

Most are down right there. But there have been a couple that were on high alert and tried to run. High in the back stops them and another vitals shot seals the deal.

As much as I like my HMR, I would rather use my .223. I still don't think I would use a .22 mag over the 17hmr though.

As far as every other game, squirrels, etc. aim for the head.

·
Administrator
81,378 Posts
You'll find quite a few 17 HMR fans on the board, myself included. The 17's are fun guns to shoot, and I haven't heard anyone complain about accuracy. They are flat shooting with no recoil. You can actually watch the bullet strike when you pull the trigger.

My son and I have the stainless version of the Marlin and it shoots like a dream. It is our go to rifle for squirrels, but you have to head shoot them only or you will waste the meat. We use them for squirrels and crows, but since we hunt on private lane, we don't use them on varmints.

Here's mine...

Here's 5 shots at 50 yards...

The only thing I did to mine was float the barrel. I did it the po' man's way, I used a business card under the receiver...

I think you'll be pleased with the 17.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good looking rifle. The rifle I am looking at has the brown finish and blued heavy barrel. It is about 120 dollars cheaper than the Marlin that you and your son have. I hope I get the same results as you do with yours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't help but ask about the scope. Looks like a tactical scope. I have the 6x24x42 varmit scope on my 243. I will have to put a scope on the new 17

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
I also have the Marlin laminated/SS barrell .17HMR. My wife got it for me when they first came out. Its stock other than a little trigger work. I will say I do not think you will find a more accurate rifle. I mainly use mine as a crow gun.

Sighted in at 110yards. Out to 125 yards I aim dead center on the chest, if its 125-175 yards or so, I put the crosshair on the head of crow. That is a 95% kill for me. I have shot a few out to 190 yards by aiming about two inches above the crows head, but that percentage drops off some.

I have also shot a few coyotes and small varmints with it. It's very fun and addicting to shoot.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I called in and killed my first yote ever with this gun. Head shot at about 70 yards,DRT. I have since added a bipod to the gun. Its my favorite gun, but have since upgraded to a .243 for yotes on private land of course. Scope is a buckridge 6-24x42 and I love it.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The only thing I did to mine was float the barrel. I did it the po' man's way, I used a business card under the receiver...

I think you'll be pleased with the 17.
I am not a real big gun guru so what are the advantages of free floating your barell like that, I could afford to do that to mine:wink:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've shot them and found them to be accurate. The only downside is the cost of the ammo. Marlin factory triggers are kind of rough. You can get a drop in or have a gun smith work on them and make them much better.

·
Administrator
81,378 Posts
I am not a real big gun guru so what are the advantages of free floating your barell like that, I could afford to do that to mine:wink:
It just makes sure that there are no pressure points on the barrel from the stock. A pressure point could cause a change in the point of impact depending on the amount of pressure on the barrel. I have mine where I can slip a dollar bill between the barrel and stock all the way to the bedding point.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't have one but, my buddy just bought one and I've shot it. He's got a Leupold 3x9 on it. I really like it. He said it seems to shoot the best with Hornady ballistic tips. It's very consistent and does much more damage than a .22. I would say they are worth the money at the very least. :thumb:

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
The ammo has always been a little high, lowest I ever paid was $8.90/ box. They kept saying once others came out with their ammo, price would fall. I kept waiting and since there have been several more makers of the ammo. But the price is now around $11/ box pretty much everywhere.

I should have stocked up on it when it was $8.90/ box but I kept thinking it would drop. Man, was I wrong. But it is a popular round also, that keeps the price up there also.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I have the exact Wally World rifle you are looking at, and it is awesome. I've had it a little over a year. Excellent accuracy right out of the box, no problems at all.

I took mine to Wyoming on a prairie dog hunt last year and zapped plenty of them out to 150 yards....could have hit them farther than that if the wind hadn't been so high (it's always windy in Wyoming). Mine seems to prefer the CCI TNT ammo, but it shoots the Hornady's fine too.

Go ahead and get it, you won't be dissapointed. :thumb:

.270Win

·
Registered
92 Posts
Brand - I bought that exact same rifle for my son last Christmas and topped it with an inexpensive Simmons scope. We love it! For the money it's probably the most accurate "off the shelf" set up I have ever used. Well worth the money. :up:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts