Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone shot any of these?

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-Recoil.asp

I was thinking of buying some for my 12 and 14 year old daughters to shoot at deer this fall. In Kansas, we have to shoot .23 caliber or larger for deer, so the .243 is the logical choice. I was told by a gun shop that they could get them in the .243 caliber, but looking at their website tells me otherwise. KDWP just thinks the 22 centerfires are not enough to bring down the mighty KS deer :smack:

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right HG, and I don't think I would shoot one at deer, but the 22-250 or 223 would be a good starter gun for youth. I don't think they would be taking long shots, at least not my kids and they already know the value of bullet placement from some of the wild goose chases and tracking adventures we have had on past hunts with other hunters.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Well, hooray for Kansas! There is absolutely no doubt that a 22-250 or .223 will kill even an elk or a moose. However, a LOT of people fail to become even close to proficient with their firearm before going afield. I have finished off two wounded deer shot by "weekend" riflemen with .223's. And I will agree that even if you shoot a Superduper Whizbang Mangler, you will eventually lose a deer. But it will be less likely than shooting a rice grain-sized bullet.
That said, LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!!:razz:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
No argument there! But you are more likely to find a gut shot deer if you use more powerful ammo. They will probably leave a blood trail even I could follow.
I didn't mean to hijack the original thread, sorry Shawnee.
Let's let the argument die. I respect everyone's opinion, and you know about them opinions! Everybody has one and thinks all the others stink.:rolleyes:

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't mean to hijack the original thread, sorry Shawnee.
QUOTE]

No problem here. I may not get much of an answer to my origional question anyway. Maybe the thread should be changed to
Large Caliber vrs Small Caliber Rifles for Deer Hunting

No one likes to start a thread and get no posts.

I had one thread hijacked by two guys planning a weekend cookout. The only bad part about that hijack was they didn't invite me. :frown:

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
If you handload, you can load ammo on the lower end of the velocity scale. Add a lighter weight bullet and you can have reduced recoil loads in just about any rifle.

Just a thought, you might not reload.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I have shot the managed recoil in the 30/30 and the recoil was literally cut in half but i have never shot a deer with one-don't know what it would do as far as energy but they were right on with my standard bullets at 100 yds. As for me i will stick with the standard rounds but according to my 2008 Remington catalog the .243 and 7mm.08 was added this year to their selection of managed recoil bullets. Go to Remington's site or pick up a catalog and it should tell you all about the ballistics.

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
according to my 2008 Remington catalog the .243 and 7mm.08 was added this year to their selection of managed recoil bullets. Go to Remington's site or pick up a catalog and it should tell you all about the ballistics.
My first post has their website and no mention of .243 or 7mm.08. I was told they are coming out. thanks Vales

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Yes, I have shot the Managed Recoil rounds .... I tried them out for my wife and kids ...... They performed very well and they will kill a deer dead, just like any other ammo but with less recoil. I tried the 30.06 to see how it felt, and my .243 kicked harder. If I was looking for something for a child, I would definitely try it out. They shoot almost dead on as compared to standard ammo, and they function fine. The only thing to remember is that they do not have the oomphhhh to cycle a semi-auto gun. It will fire, but the case will not fully eject. So they are limited to single shot guns or Bolt guns. If the .243 is not available, the consider moving up to the next available round , like a .308, and then you will have a great hunting round for the child when the child gets older and can move to full strength stuff. The .308 is not harsh with the managed recoil by any means.

BTW .... the 7mm-08 is shown on the website.... and that is a fantastic round for deer. I personally use it a lot.

God Bless

MET

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Hi Shawnee,

I am the Ballistics Engineer here at Remington (all the ammo is made here in Arkansas) we will have the 7mm-08 available this fall, but I am not aware of any .243 MR. These things are a joy to shoot. For all you guys with the 300 Ultra Mag there will soon be 4 different levels to choose from for that monster.

Kris

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Hi Shawnee,

I am the Ballistics Engineer here at Remington (all the ammo is made here in Arkansas) we will have the 7mm-08 available this fall, but I am not aware of any .243 MR. These things are a joy to shoot. For all you guys with the 300 Ultra Mag there will soon be 4 different levels to choose from for that monster.

Kris
Excellent post! Good to hear from someone in the know. Just out of curiosity, and maybe the info is not to made public, does Remington simply reduce the powder charge or use a completely different powder? Seems like a long time ago, I saw an article about using a duplex (mixed) powder charge to reduce the felt recoil.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Excellent post! Good to hear from someone in the know. Just out of curiosity, and maybe the info is not to made public, does Remington simply reduce the powder charge or use a completely different powder? Seems like a long time ago, I saw an article about using a duplex (mixed) powder charge to reduce the felt recoil.
No we don't mix powder at all or reduce the charge, you wouldn't be able to maintain the needed burn rate/pressures.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I do not know about the .243 with reduced-recoil ammo, but I am familiar with the Remington R-R ammo in .270 Win. My boy took his first whitetail year before last with this ammo. It was only a 20 yard shot, and the deer was DRT. The thing I like about the R-R ammo is the ability to use either standard or R-R ammo in the same rifle without adjusting the scope. Have proven that it works. I used the same rifle with standard power Remington rounds and taken game (antelope) out to 350 yards. Best product to come along in a long time..........:thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.