Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just adding up how long I've been turkey hunting and...well...a lot longer than I had thought and it makes me even more sad. I've hunted these dang birds for at least 10 years and have yet to kill one. I hunt every weekend of the season (taking off on Monday of opening week this year) so maybe this is my year. Seems the first year or two we had birds come in and I screwed up due to lack of experience (Like not know that when a turkey shuts-up, sometimes that means he is coming. :smack:) Well, I know what to do know and I know how to call, box, slate, a little mouth, but I can't get one. I always get on birds but they either hang up or are hened up or something goes wrong. I've tried pretty much any and every tactic out there and I can't get one. Tried soft calling, aggressive calling, a mix, pretty much everything. Anyway, just needed to vent a little. Maybe this year will be my year....finally. :mad:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I bet this will be the year, to me these days we spend a lot more time sitting and waiting on turkeys then we did back in the day when they seemed to be gobbling everywhere, If you get one going in a place and he shuts up and your in a good area just hang tight and let the morning unfold if you can stand it, lots of times he may get back going and you can go reset on him, once a turkey goes quiet its awful hard to get in a killin position on him w/o him knowing it!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Look at it this way. You've got a lot of luck due to come your way!
Turkeys are tough. I remember when I first started, I was hunting a lot with an old girlfriend's dad. He was from Mississippi and hadnt hunted much here, but he used to hunt a lot. I did all the scouting, and then I'd show him the birds, and he'd help show me what to do with them...
He told me how many turkey's he'd killed one day, and I said as politely as possible, "You know that doesnt sound like that many dead turkeys?" He told me, "Maybe once you've turkey hunted a while, that'll sound like a lot more turkeys!" You know, he was right!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Don't sweat it. Reggie went on an 8 year dry spell back in his younger days.

The best insight into this phenomonen, that Reggie has ever read, is Robert Neil's Book The Flaming Turkey. There is a chapted in the book called "Vacuums and Force Fields" that explains how some turkey hunters can't seem to hear or see a turkey in a given area, and how their buddy can show up the next day and kill three on his way to the outhouse.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

The best insight into this phenomonen, that Reggie has ever read, is Robert Neil's Book The Flaming Turkey. There is a chapted in the book called "Vacuums and Force Fields" that explains how some turkey hunters can't seem to hear or see a turkey in a given area, and how their buddy can show up the next day and kill three on his way to the outhouse.
The Flaming Turkey, By Rober Hitt Neil...a magor classic and collectible...if you have one take care of it.."decent" copies go for $125-$200!

·
Premium Member
7,624 Posts
dont feel bad doubleA, thats why they call it hunting and not killing. pop started taking me at about 10 years old. i killed my first bird at 25 years old, and only killed 2 longbeards and 2 jakes since, at age 35. just the way the cookie crumbles:thumb: BG12

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
nothing easy about killing a turkey in Arkansas. i consider a success when one answers me and acts like he is interested. if you can make that happen then nothing to be a loser about.

·
Registered
751 Posts

keep your vacuums and force fields away from me!

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
keep your vacuums and force fields away from me!
Someone can have mine! :razz:

Now on top of all I mentioned above, my knee has been bothering me for a couple weeks and I think I reagrivated it or repulled something in it on sunday. :frown: Its hurting on the back of my knee too....not good. :smack: Really not good for going and chasing ole tom in those 2,000 ft mountains I'm going to for three days this weekend. :smack: :smack:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Feel around in the pocket behind your knee and see if theres a large swelling....it's called a baker's cyst.....no big deal, it'll go away after a while....mine did!:wink:

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Feel around in the pocket behind your knee and see if theres a large swelling....it's called a baker's cyst.....no big deal, it'll go away after a while....mine did!:wink:
Nope. Feels just like the other knee. :frown: Man I hope I didn't tear something. That would be a good way to start of the season. :smack:

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
It may help you in a round about way. Maybe you will be willing to sit longer rather than move. Find a spot and sit it, then sit it longer while sucking up some rays and sounds. Sometimes one will fire up or just show up. They usually show up when I stand up, happened twice last year and once the year before. If it is a pressured area less calling can be the best. It is a learning thang and I have a lot to learn. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So just hunt them like a deer. Get in an area where you know there are some birds and just wait them out.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Nope. Feels just like the other knee. :frown: Man I hope I didn't tear something. That would be a good way to start of the season. :smack:
I forgot the name of it but it is a horse linemint, go to the feed store and get you a bottle of it. It is for sprains in horses legs...strong stuff don't get it in your eyes, and don't wrap it up it'll burn you till your skin peels off. But lather that knee up about twice a day, it may turn your skin red ...but it's the best thang you can get for quick healing.....It's a gel like substance and it's green with a strong smell of menthol.....

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
A cluck here and there. When birds have heard it all and a lot of it, sparse is best, that is one of the few things I have found. Remote flats where they can loaf mid day may be the ticket. If they think 'man that hen has been there all morning, maybe these yahoos won't follow'. As crowded as Winona will be this weekend, I found a little spot about 1/2-5/8 of a mile from the nearest road where a flat is and it has some fresh scratching in it, I will have my butt parked there at daylight good Lord willing and plain on staying till I get run off. Pretty spot to spend the day.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
All ya gotta do to see a really great trophy gobbler is, forget to bring any shells.......or just leave yer gun ta'home:thumb: I will nearly always see a gobbler across a big open field, and reach for my caller....oops, left it at home:smack: This has happened to me and a many other guys who wont admit it....but leaving my caller will not ever hinder me again...I now know two ways to call that I could be naked as a jaybird and still call them to me!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I forgot the name of it but it is a horse linemint, go to the feed store and get you a bottle of it. It is for sprains in horses legs...strong stuff don't get it in your eyes, and don't wrap it up it'll burn you till your skin peels off. But lather that knee up about twice a day, it may turn your skin red ...but it's the best thang you can get for quick healing.....It's a gel like substance and it's green with a strong smell of menthol.....
I think yer talkin bout some "Bigel Oil" - works great and comes in either a get or a liquid - like was said - don't get it in yer eyes or cover it with tight clothing for at least 5 minutes - twill burn ya for sure - my doc okayed it!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts