Mallet Rumors

Discussion in 'Razorbacks' started by spur, Jan 9, 2008.

1. spur

spur Moderator-Razorback Forum<br>Sports

nwar
    Word is he is coming for a visit. Hope it will pan out. I belive he can be a good one.

2. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

will he have to sit out a year??

3. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

i think dts said he was visiting the ua this weekend. he would have to redshirt a year and then have 3 years left.

4. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

Not red shirt, sit out. Red shirt he would sit out but keep a year of eligibility. He would have 3 years left, and another year of experience in practice.

5. hawgpharm

he played last year at michigan as a true freshman. if he transfers to another div 1 or fbs school or whatever they call it these days, he will have to sit out a year. therefore, he will use his redshirt year during the year he sits out and he will have 3 years of eligibility left. if he did not redshirt, he would only have 2 years of eligibility left.

so yes, he will redshirt.

6. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

This young man probably doesn't need 3 years of eligibility anyway. He's tall, strong, and has a cannon for an arm. He's what the pros look for in a quarterback, and he should be ready for them in a couple of years. I would tend to believe he will be looking for an established coaching staff with good receivers that want him now, even though he needs to sit for a year.

7. CP

CP Well-Known Member

SA
    Lost me on that one...

Mallett MUST sit out one year...regardless.
    He will have three years of eligibility left. (four years total allowed)

I don't understand the "two years left" thingy...:confused:

8. hawgpharm

that is my mistake. bottom line is this...he has to sit out a year and then will have 3 years of eligibility left. some call the year he has to sit out a redshirt year and some dont. he has 5 years to play 4 so it really does not matter.

AND, i hear we may be getting some good news on this very soon.:thumb:

9. hogfan x

hogfan x Well-Known Member

This could turn our program around QUICK. Mallett is the real deal. If we can pull this off, great things will happen for "Poor Old Arkansas". Now what do we do next year :smack:

10. CP

CP Well-Known Member

SA
    Thanks hogpharm...

Yep...five years to play four. Any single year in school and not playing is considered a "red shirt" ..any other out year would count..except a "medical" red shirt type year...:thumb:

The kid is a hoss...just got to learn the speed of the game... and what color jersey to throw it to.:rolleyes:

11. Not to throw a wrench in the Red Shirt deal, but a Division I player can transfer to what was a Division II school and not have to sit out and be eligible immediately to play as long as he is academically OK. Also,the new rule (proposal 2005-54) states: A student-athlete who earns an undergraduate degree in four years but still has one year of eligibility remaining can transfer into another college's graduate school and finish his or her playing career there immediately without having to sit out a year.
    The 5 year clock starts ticking the first time a student athlete enrolls under scholarship at a 4 year Div I school. As stated a student athlete has 5 years to play 4. If Mallet transfers to Arkansas, he would have to sit out a year and would still have 3 years left.

12. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

We/I just about had this figured out and you go and confuse the :censored: out me. :biggrin:

13. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

In other words, Mallett can transfer to UofA, sit out, play two years, graduate, have a year of elligibility left, and enter grad school at whatever school BP takes his new head coaching job at.:thumb: And then win the Heisman.:smack:

14. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

...then when Tony Romeo runs off with that Simpson girl he will be the new Cowboys quarterback!

15. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

Romeo comes out ahead then (as long as it ain't that Spears girl).

16. hawgpharm

Ryan Mallett is a Razorback
    http://arkansas.rivals.com/barrier_...pt=content.asp&cid=761558&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Otis Kirk
    HawgSports.com

Ever since the coaching change at Michigan, Arkansas fans have been waiting on the edge of their seats in hopes of former five-star quarterback Ryan Mallett transferring to Arkansas. At 10:47 a.m., HawgSports.com broke the news that the fans would get their wish when it was announced he was enrolled at Arkansas. Come inside for the details of Mallett-to-Arkansas.

17. yjjeeper

yjjeeper Well-Known Member

lost
    From ESPN...

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Former Michigan quarterback Ryan Mallett has not yet decided where to resume his college football career.
    Ryan Mallett, who played in 11 games as a freshman, isn't thought to be suited for new coach Rich Rodriguez's spread offense.

"We haven't made a decision yet, but everybody and their dog is saying my son has done this or that," Jim Mallett said Monday in an interview with The Associated Press. "We're getting calls from reporters at 1 o'clock in the morning, and those reporters are catching the wrath of my wife, Debbie.

"I can tell you, we visited Arkansas and we've talked to Texas A&M and Tennessee. But we're not sure what is going on at Tennessee because they hired an offensive coordinator that has run the spread. I can also say tell you we considered UCLA, but just decided that's too far away."

Mallett's father said last week, shortly after it was clear that his son was leaving Michigan, that it was a good possibility his son would transfer to Tennessee if the school hired former Michigan offensive coordinator Mike DeBord and quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler, both of whom were considered for jobs.

Instead, the Volunteers chose former Richmond coach Dave Clawson to run their offense. He used more of a spread scheme behind quarterback Stacy Tutt, in 2004 and '05, before using more traditional schemes the past two seasons.

Mallett's future at Michigan ended shortly after the school hired Rich Rodriguez last month to succeed retiring coach Lloyd Carr, because the former West Virginia coach plans to have his spread offense led by a mobile quarterback.

The 6-7, 252-pound Mallett has a strong arm and is best suited for a pro-style offense.

He played in 11 games last season as a freshman, filling in for Chad Henne when he was injured. He was 61-of-141 for 892 yards with seven touchdown passes and five interceptions.

Mallett threw for more than 2,500 yards and 27 scores as a senior at Texarkana High School, where he was a three-year starter and earned Texas Class 4A offensive player of the year honors.

After sitting out next season, he will have three years of eligibility.

18. CP

CP Well-Known Member

SA
  19. F B

F B Administrator

Cabot
    Ill take a 5 star recruit anyday but if he didnt want to stay at Michigan or go to Tennessee because of the spread offense, how is he gonna fit in here? :head:

20. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

--That's what I've been hearing. Kid can throw with the best of 'em, but I hear he ain't too mobile. Great guns, no wheels. :biggrin:

It may take a few years to put the perfect QB in place, but Mallet could plug the gap after next year.