Arkansas Hunting banner

Making Calls

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sunny b 
#1 ·
my goal for next year is to be blowing a call that i have made. just wondered if anybody has much experience/advice for someone looking to try turning out a few calls. i'm talking square one, i have used a lathe once and don't own one...yet. so...

shifty

#3 ·
go to customcalls.com, very helpful bunch and more information and tips than you could ever imagine. Keep me posted, I've turned a few barrels, but never turned an insert. I want to turn calls and carve decoys. Not really ever to sell, just for the pleasure of knowing you are using things you made. I'll continue to buy guns and gear though!

#5 ·
Dad could make you a stainless steel duck call on the lathe in his shop. Too bad it isn't a wood lathe though. I wonder how the ol steel duck call would sound...hm...

#7 ·
Shifty-

I turned the barrels on a wood lathe. Wear saftey goggles!

Once you get the barrels turned pretty close to size, then use sand paper to finish. Use a rougher grit then slowly step down to a fine grit. I learned by just reading on custom calls. My cousin and I came up with a jig for the insert, but we've yet to test it.

He has all the tools and he lives 2 hours away so it is not too often we get to play around in the shop together. I'd start with some cheap wood for practice before you buy the good stuff.

Hutproducts.com is another good source of materials. We've turned out of oak, redoak, blackjack, pine, and black walnut. All are really cool, but the sound (important part) comes from the insert.

#8 ·
Shifty-

I turned the barrels on a wood lathe. Wear saftey goggles!

Once you get the barrels turned pretty close to size, then use sand paper to finish. Use a rougher grit then slowly step down to a fine grit. I learned by just reading on custom calls. My cousin and I came up with a jig for the insert, but we've yet to test it.

He has all the tools and he lives 2 hours away so it is not too often we get to play around in the shop together. I'd start with some cheap wood for practice before you buy the good stuff.

Hutproducts.com is another good source of materials. We've turned out of oak, redoak, blackjack, pine, and black walnut. All are really cool, but the sound (important part) comes from the insert.
thanks, may bounce some ideas off of you when i get more involved
shifty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.