Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we've all made this mistake. They use them for fighting for a reason.

Those went through my gloves and got me.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Getting spurred by a big ole gobbler has happened to most turkey hunters at one time or another. I like to get my foot on the turkeys head as quick as I can get there. I have had some good hunting pants torn up by those sharp spurs.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Always put your foot on the turkey's head....if he's dead it wont matter, if he's alive it will!:wink:

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
Reminds me of a story! Years ago after the big ice storm up in Montgomery county i was huntin about 1.5 miles from my boat on a gravel road that you couldnt access- I called a nice 10 in paint brush gobbler into range and hammered him with my old 1100 shotgun! he was laying motionless down the ridge so I got up and started down to him and all of a sudden he jumped up and started heading down the ridge- I shot twice and missed- but I could tell he was hurt and couldnt fly so off I went the race was on- I chased that dang gobbler 3 or 400 hundred yards down that dang mountain and kept dropping my shells trying to load my shotgun on a dead run- well he finally ran between 2 pine sapplings and hung up - I had lost all my shells trying to reload so I had to finish him off with the barrel of my shotgun- I hit that dang gobbler until I couldnt lift my gun and finally wrestled him to a point I could get my foot on his head and I remember standing there that bird flopping around and I was wondering who was gonna die first him from the beating or me from the running:smack: It was a long walk back to the boat but I had a dang good gobbler and a dang good story to tell!

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
I've had several gloves torn, my hand sliced open, and been in some straight up knock down drag out fights with gobblers in the past and I wouldn't take back a single experience. I have learned to shoot heavyshot though :thumb:

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The more scars the better. Those spur scars have memories. Buba by the way that's one funny story. Had me visualizing and laughing outloud. May everyone get the chance to have a spur in the hand this spring.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nothing like a good turkey fight every once in a while! A friend watched me dive on one about 3 years ago. I ended up with the turkey in the heimlich position. Not good. As he flew up out of my arms, he burried a spur to the bone in my palm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts