lumber

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by lawson6565, Sep 15, 2020.

1. lawson6565

lawson6565 Well-Known Member

wood products prices have almost doubled in the past few weeks. 1/2 inch plywood sheathing is $20 at lowes and also at packs .

sparkie likes this.
  2. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Conway
    Yes. It’s a disaster

sparkie likes this.

3. Allenn

Allenn Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So how does that work in your world? I had a house built several years ago. We told them what we want and gave them the plans ect it was turn key price didn’t change. Now it seems like a 350k house could easily half way through it turn to 400k

sparkie likes this.
  4. arkrem870

Conway
    Up to my clients wether they want to pay the extra money for expensive lumber now or wait it out. Waiting it out could result in a higher interest rate.

sparkie and Allenn like this.
  5. N8HARNER

N8HARNER Well-Known Member

And no guarantee that material will actually go back down.

brushcreek and Allenn like this.
  6. pirogue

pirogue Well-Known Member

Stock prices of the major home builders has been doing well, for sure. But I don’t hear the small timber seller seeing proportional gains.

7. Kodiac

Kodiac Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I paid $21.22 for a 4x4x8 treated.

8. Allenn

Allenn Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know i just built a wooden box stand treated except sides were osb. Man the price was shocking to say the least. Even down to the screws was high.

buckhorn likes this.
  9. faithfularcher

faithfularcher Well-Known Member

Just put new 2x8 treated in my 6x12 trailer cost over 200 dollars 20 bucks a board.

10. Kodiac

Kodiac Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You guys buying OSB...the camo pattern .5" OSB is cheaper than regular .5" OSB.

Riddle me that!

cbradley likes this.
  11. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    For new construction OSB and house wrap is a thing of the past.

Even though Zip System cost more it’s worth it in my opinion.

12. arkrem870

Conway
    Shockwaves are going to be felt when building slows to a crawl. You can’t absorb the percentage it’s increased so it must be passed along. I took it on the chin on three houses in last couple months.....just to keep moving. Have 5 in the ground right now that are on hold.....to see what happens. One of these houses lumber package went up $24k Since March 1.

I’m a grain of sand in the construction world.....but I pay a lot of bills that pay a lot of people. It’s not good for anybody Cost of materials is out running appraised values of homes

13. So, have they created a shortage like they did with pork and beef. The mills I know of are runnin wide open and the loggers are haulin logs.

cbradley, Onetrakd and sparkie like this.
  14. sparkie

sparkie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

NEA
    I know all lumber is higher---But I think the 1/2" plywood may be higher because they have been using a large amount because of the many storms blowing in.

deadhead likes this.
  15. outdoorjunkiebj

outdoorjunkiebj Well-Known Member

Pearcy
    2"x4"x8' stud is almost 8 bucks at Sutherlands, I bought 3 yesterday.

16. ksf04001

ksf04001 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what is driving this? I talked to a logger about cutting some timber because I was hoping the price of timber was up since lumber is sky high, but he told me it is still low.

17. arkrem870

Conway

Exactly right. Hopefully prices will correct sooner than later

Onetrakd, N8HARNER and sparkie like this.
  18. arkrem870

Conway
    Combination of the mills running limited capacity due to “flattening the curve” and the mills thinking construction would slow with Covid so they cut production. It didn’t slow with Covid and now a shortage exists.

sparkie and N8HARNER like this.
  19. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    Home sales and renovations are at record highs...
    covid.... pfffffft6

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    sparkie likes this.
  20. Timberking

Timberking Well-Known Member

I am glad the sawmills are making money but am afraid the record prices are going to throw a wet blanket on the building sector. Would like to get a sniff of these riches down on my level. No upward movement in stumpage prices.

sparkie likes this.