Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I banged my head all day Tuesday trying to decide where to go opening morning. The wind was good for the 9 pt stand but he had been hanging out in there until right at daylight then leaving but returning most afternoons right at dark. Not wanting to risk bumping him out opening morning I choose to go hunt a stand I put up last year and never hunted. I had put my camera in there a time or two and had pics of a few decent bucks but nothing I'd shoot. I decided to go ahead and give it a try, heck it's opening morning I had to go somewhere.. I got soaking wet walking through head high cypress weeds and was uncomfortable and very unconfident by 8 a.m. and finally a small 5 pt came out, was great just seeing a deer. he fed a short while and moved on, I had decided at 9 I was going to get down, I had alot to do before the afternoon hunt. At 5 minutes until 9 a doe and yearling came out, I thought "crap, now I got to wait til they leave." They weren't there but just a minute and they looked back, broke and ran..When I first saw his horn (left side) I thought it was a "freak" horned deer I had pics of, then I saw the other side. He walked straight in and I wasn't going to shoot him since he was so narrow but then I saw the mass and I realized what deer it was. I am guessing he has be 5.5 yrs old and I was taught by an older fellow to not ever pass a shot at a 5.5 yr old :wink: So I took it.. Hit him good and he went about 40 yds and piled up. He is not the biggest racked deer I have ever took but a sure trophy in my eyes.

Minutes before the shot...

Beautiful Double Throat Patch Big mature deer that weighed 177lbs

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Afternoon hunt. Well since we had a nice north wind it wasn't hard for me to decided where to hunt opening afternoon :thumb: I had been getting pics of this 9pt for a couple weeks and was really hoping but not to confident I could catch up with him in the daylight hours because I had pics of him about 1 afternoon a week in "shooting light." I went in Sunday and pulled my camera and poured the feed to them, they were wiping out 200# in 3 days :eek: so I knew when I got there the feed would be gone but maybe he would show. I got settled in about 4:30 and soon after a nice young 7 pt came in and worked a scrape about 15 yds from me and staged there until the first doe came out. Then he and 6 doe started feeding, pawing the ground for any remains. 3 more doe joined in then a 6pt came out, he and the 7pt postured up and right when I thought I was going to get to see them throw down the 6pt punked out. Then another 7 pt then another 6pt then a small 8 pt then the 7pt I was looking for came out. Everytime I had pics of this small 7 the big 9 wasn't far behind him and just like clockwork here came "Ole Lefty" He came in to about 30 yds and as I was drawing back he turned and started towards me, he got to about 25 and all of a sudden they all spooked, he turned like he was fixing to get gone but it was to late. I hit him to high and broke him down. Put a couple more in him and it was all over, I stood motionless over him for several minutes trying to contemplate what just happened. I do not regret taking either one of them and I do thank ya'll for the kind words. I do put alot into it and days like yesterday make it all worth it. Like Whiskey River said though, I got 3 young Cur dogs and 1 older Cur gyp that need alot of woods time and me and lil BBD are fixin' to give it to them :biggrin: .... Alot more days left, Good Luck!

Lil BBD said "Daddy you 'pose to shoot'em right there!" :up:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
GETTIN-R-DONE.....Way to go Bud...:clap::up::clap:

(I shot two inches over my super wide eight (4.5 yo) yesterday PM)

Saw a ten, two eights, a seven, two fours, and two spikes...all at the same time....:whistle:
May be a good year coming.

Congrats again.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks CP, sounds like they finally decided to show :thumb: Going to bring the horns of the 8 by one day for you to check out. I sure thought about what you had told me when I saw it was him.. I thank you for sharing your knowledge with me but I am not so sure he would :up:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Congratulations :thumb: One can tell you put a lot into your deer hunting. One can only rely on luck to get you so far. Two bucks like this is attributed to a lot of preparation. Good Job

·
Premium Member
20,034 Posts
I have been contacted by the AGFC to help you in your management efforts. If you would be so kind as to give me the time, place and location of your recent harvest, I will expedite myself to your area in time for the morning hunt.......:fit::fit:

You Da' MAN!!!!!! Congrat's to you!!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
AGFC Reg Change

I just saw this on AGFC.com
It is not legal to:
  • refuse an officer’s lawful request to inspect your wildlife, tackle, hunting equipment, devices, license or any item that can reasonably contain wildlife.
  • interfere with an officer performing his duties or flee from an officer.
  • aid, accompany or abet someone else in a violation.
  • hunt or fish after license revocation or suspension.
  • transport illegally taken wildlife across state lines. You may ship wildlife from Arkansas if you display on the package your name and address and the species and quantity of wildlife.
  • waste the edible portions of game, fish or waste marketable fur.
  • fail to comply with the terms of a Commission-issued permit.
  • buy or sell wildlife (or their parts) except for pelts or carcasses of furbearers, squirrel tails, deer antlers, deer hides or feathers from nonmigratory game birds. For more information, refer to AGFC Code of Regulations 18.03.
  • hunt 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise, unless legally hunting furbearers. Trappers may carry a .22 caliber rimfire firearm while checking sets at night. Refer to the 2008-09 Arkansas Waterfowl Regulations Guidebook for shooting hours for migratory game birds and waterfowl.
  • shoot across, from or within 100 feet of the centerline of any city, county, state or federally maintained road (see exceptions below).
  • shine an artificial light from a public road, street, highway or within a wildlife management area, except when hunting bullfrogs or furbearers.
  • hunt with Big Buck Down

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.