1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lou Dobbs Alert: Illegal Immigrants May Get Rebates
By Martin Kady II

Jan 30, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The Politico) In their bipartisan zeal to quickly cut a deal on an economic stimulus bill, GOP lawmakers overlooked something that will certainly inflame the conservative base _ illegal immigrants could receive a tax rebate check from the government.

The text of the House passed bill contains language making "non resident aliens" _ illegal immigrants _ ineligible for the tax rebates. But every year, hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants use individual taxpayer identification numbers, known as ITINs, to file income tax returns with the IRS. These ID numbers are used instead of Social Security numbers. There are no exact statistics for how many illegal immigrants file tax returns, but this New York Times story from last year details the significant increase in use of ITINs. This story also lays out the issue.

Republicans who were involved in negotiating the bipartisan economic stimulus package would like to avoid the illegal immigration debate as the $146 billion bill comes to the Senate this week. Congressional aides say the problem is that the IRS is not a law enforcement agency, so it doesn't check immigration status when people file tax returns.

"The reality is that those who filed a tax return will be eligible" for tax rebates of $600 to $1,200, said Sen. Ken Salazar (D-Colo.). "This [issue] has not been addressed" by the senators writing the bill.

The issue has certainly caught on in the conservative blogosphere, though, and you can bet a few conservative senators will bring this up as the stimulus bill hits the Senate floor. CNN's Lou Dobbs will probably have a field day with the issue as well.

A spokesman for House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) points out that illegal immigrants are ineligible for any rebates and are committing tax fraud if they fraudulently obtain taxpayer ID numbers to file tax returns.

"The bill includes language similar to the provisions included in the 2001 and 2003 tax relief bills designed to prevent illegal immigrants from receiving benefits," Boehner spokesman Kevin Smith said. "There is no language in the measure that would enable illegal immigrants to receive a tax rebate.”

Mark Krikorian, director of the Center for Immigration Studies, a conservative organization, says the problem is not with the economic stimulus bill but with the lack of coordination between the IRS and immigration enforcement agencies.

"If the IRS was cooperating with Social Security or DHS [Homeland Security] ... they would know who the illegal immigrants are who file tax returns," Krikorian said.

According to a Senate GOP aide, Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) will try to offer a "fix" to the bill in the Finance Committee markup of the legislation today. Republican aides are also worried that under certain definitions in the House bill, a resident alien who spent at least 183 days drawing income in the United States but was deported _ and still filed a tax return _ could have a rebate check sent to their home country. Ensign will try to prevent this with an amendment to the bill, according to a GOP aide.

Copyright 2008 POLITICO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't see the problem with giving them a rebate check as much as the problem of giving them loopholes to have the jobs semi-legitimately enough to be able to file taxes.

If they were here working and paying taxes (which should mean legally), then I am ok with them getting a check. They would have earned it more than people who did not pay any taxes, but are getting a check anyway.

·
53,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see the problem with giving them a rebate check as much as the problem of giving them loopholes to have the jobs semi-legitimately enough to be able to file taxes.

If they were here working and paying taxes (which should mean legally), then I am ok with them getting a check. They would have earned it more than people who did not pay any taxes, but are getting a check anyway.
The key word here seems to be illegal! What part of that word are people not getting??:confused:

·
Registered
514 Posts
The key word here seems to be illegal! What part of that word are people not getting??:confused:
Whoops I didn't see the other thread, but anyway, what I am trying to get at is that no where in that says that the government is giving checks to illegal aliens. It does say that it is possible for illegal aliens to cheat the system and possibly get a check the same way they are getting jobs now. The loophole isn't in this bill it's in the whole system. They've got to start cracking down on the people that hire the illegal aliens. If there weren't jobs available then they wouldn't be here and I would just pay a little more for my chicken and a whole lot less on the welfare that supports them.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Whoops I didn't see the other thread, but anyway, what I am trying to get at is that no where in that says that the government is giving checks to illegal aliens. It does say that it is possible for illegal aliens to cheat the system and possibly get a check the same way they are getting jobs now. The loophole isn't in this bill it's in the whole system. They've got to start cracking down on the people that hire the illegal aliens. If there weren't jobs available then they wouldn't be here and I would just pay a little more for my chicken and a whole lot less on the welfare that supports them.
Right, also the illegals who are working with bought SSN's are paying all the taxes the rest of us are. If they were handing out checks to every roofer and shovel operator in the country then I'd have more of a problem with it.

·
53,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The part that fries my gord about it is that some unscrupulous employers who manage these accounts will get the checks and the mexicans will never see a dime!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts