Arkansas Hunting banner

Have you lost a deer this season with archery equipment?

21 - 40 of 90 Posts
One of many "no brainers" you speak of has been drilled into everyones skull here more times than you've shot a bow!!!! We know shot placement is everything, we know making good shot placement comes with practice and patience at a calm, close, non moving target, we also know theres the X factor and always will be an X factor whether we like it or not. Thats where the broadhead argument comes in and thats where the only obvious conclusion will always be COC fixed blade + heavy arrows properly tuned for your rig. Everyone knows a rage can kill a deer, everyone knows a stinking field tip could kill a deer with proper shot placement and noone! is ever arguing that concept.

Put it this way, if you shoot 20 deer with your bow in your lifetime and 19 were perfect shots and 1 stepped back as you released and you hit it forward in the shoulder blade. All we are saying is, "whether you like it or not", a fixed blade, heavy arrow tuned properly will penetrate better 100% of the time. Can a rage possibly break a shoulder and kill a deer? sure why not? Does it have a better chance to do it then a fixed blade COC broadhead? don't think so. Not even RAGE can beat physics.
not talking physics here . talking hunting . go back and look at my thread when i shot a doe through both shoulders with a rage . .broke both too!! . did you not read that I shoot montecs as well they are a fixed blade . when you have killed half as many deer as I have with a bow . and helped track as many I have come back and we can talk. . . Ive saw them shot with all kinds of broadheads and all kinds of shot angles . I know what works and what doesnt . .dont know what your argument is??

Lost 1 this year, was all my fault. Was a poor poor shot. I tried to stop a buck when he was to close to my tree, I bleated and released my arrow at the same time. He jumped the string..... my fault period. I believe the deer lived.

not talking physics here . talking hunting . go back and look at my thread when i shot a doe through both shoulders with a rage . .broke both too!! . did you not read that I shoot montecs as well they are a fixed blade . when you have killed half as many deer as I have with a bow . and helped track as many I have come back and we can talk. . . Ive saw them shot with all kinds of broadheads and all kinds of shot angles . I know what works and what doesnt . .dont know what your argument is??
What he is saying is that when a shot goes bad and they will more than they want. You need a good head that will go through those shoulders. You say a rage will so I guess it might i know of a lot of deer that it did not and my self has put Thunder heads and slick tricks through the shoulders many times. You just can not make me believe that a wide cutting mech heads is better than a well tuned bow with a FB for when shots go bad. I do think rage would be good on a gut shot but that would be about it. Most shot will not be perfect even on broadside shots.

So since shooting a bow and arrow at a solid object has nothing to do with physics I'll retract my last statement. :head:

Thank you for reminding me that I will never kill half as many deer as you.

I now also understand that for me to talk with you about killing deer, it first requires me to reach your super eliteness deer slayage milestone first. Forgive me sir, I overstepped my boundaries......

Put it this way, if you shoot 20 deer with your bow in your lifetime and 19 were perfect shots and 1 stepped back as you released and you hit it forward in the shoulder blade. All we are saying is, "whether you like it or not", a fixed blade, heavy arrow tuned properly will penetrate better 100% of the time.
I don't think anyone would argue that fact that the heavier, COC will penetrate farther than a mechanical. Take your same scenario, the deer is 30 yards away and steps back - because your heavy, fixed blade arrow is slower, you hit forward in the shoulder, just as you describe. Same scenario with a medium wt, mechanical, moving 30 ft per sec faster, hits the back side of the shoulder blade, resulting in more lung and or heart damage. Which is better - a pass through with poor shot placement or 12 inches of pentration with good shot placement? Most of the heavy arrow, COC proponents talk like nobody ever gets a pass through with a mechanical. I have shot shot heavy aluminum arrows with COC the majority of my life. I have made plenty of shots on deer with those that were not passthroughs. A heavy arrow does not guarantee a pass through, just as a mechanical does not guarantee no pass through. I have lost several deer that I shot with a bow (never a Rage shot) and EVERY one of my losses were with a clean passthrough. NEVER have I lost a deer the arrow did not pass through. I have got a clean pass through on every deer I have shot with a Rage with the exception of one - square in the shoulder, and I would not have expected a pass through with any of my previous arrow/broadhead setups. Obviously, I am doing something wrong to have this much success with a Rage and medium wt arrow!

I don't think anyone would argue that fact that the heavier, COC will penetrate farther than a mechanical. Take your same scenario, the deer is 30 yards away and steps back - because your heavy, fixed blade arrow is slower, you hit forward in the shoulder, just as you describe. Same scenario with a medium wt, mechanical, moving 30 ft per sec faster, hits the back side of the shoulder blade, resulting in more lung and or heart damage. Which is better - a pass through with poor shot placement or 12 inches of pentration with good shot placement? Most of the heavy arrow, COC proponents talk like nobody ever gets a pass through with a mechanical. I have shot shot heavy aluminum arrows with COC the majority of my life. I have made plenty of shots on deer with those that were not passthroughs. A heavy arrow does not guarantee a pass through, just as a mechanical does not guarantee no pass through. I have lost several deer that I shot with a bow (never a Rage shot) and EVERY one of my losses were with a clean passthrough. NEVER have I lost a deer the arrow did not pass through. I have got a clean pass through on every deer I have shot with a Rage with the exception of one - square in the shoulder, and I would not have expected a pass through with any of my previous arrow/broadhead setups. Obviously, I am doing something wrong to have this much success with a Rage and medium wt arrow!
Should have qouted my whole statement. I never in my life said rage can't kill a deer, I never said a rage couldn't break a shoulder, I never said a rage can't pass through. I just find it hard to believe that people think there is some magic dust on "their" set-up that makes super elite to any other set up. My argument had 3 points really and thats all.

1. Shot placement is most important

2. The X factor is always relevant

3. A heavier COC fixed blade set-up will penetrate better. Period! NOt kill more deer, not field dress your deer for you, not make them implode, just PENETRATE better. PERIOD!

Should have qouted my whole statement. I never in my life said rage can't kill a deer, I never said a rage couldn't break a shoulder, I never said a rage can't pass through. I just find it hard to believe that people think there is some magic dust on "their" set-up that makes super elite to any other set up. My argument had 3 points really and thats all.

1. Shot placement is most important

2. The X factor is always relevant

3. A heavier COC fixed blade set-up will penetrate better. Period! NOt kill more deer, not field dress your deer for you, not make them implode, just PENETRATE better. PERIOD!

Agreed!

I will add one more:

A larger cutting diameter, all other things being equal, is better than a smaller cutting diameter.

opening day, 11 yards from base of tree
perfect shot, didnt rush it
calm, made shot, heard the pop, complete pass thru
she ran about thirty, did a dance, didnt fall
ran about another thirty, staggered a sec, then took off
and never checked up..... wth i thought

climbed down, absoultely no blood on shaft nothing
walked out trail she went and nothing at all any where

made circles for about 300 yards from tree and nothing

not sure what the deal was

only thing i could figure is broadhead wasnt sharp enough or something
and all it did was punch through

changed heads and not a problem since sooooooooo..... :head:

I have so many friend that has went to the big cutting balde mech heads and they have lost more deer in the past 2 years than they have in the 25yrs they have been bow hunting. These guys have killed a lot of big bucks and a lot of deer over the years and have hardly ever lost deer until the past 2 years. They have now went back to fixed blades and they have all put deer down these past 2 weeks. It is just like my friends have said the big wide cutting mech heads do fine on perfect shot but that is about it. They tried them they worked but they have better results out of the heavier arrows and fixed blades. This is coming from about ten guy's that do nothing but bow hunt.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I have so many friend that has went to the big cutting balde mech heads and they have lost more deer in the past 2 years than they have in the 25yrs they have been bow hunting. These guys have killed a lot of big bucks and a lot of deer over the years and have hardly ever lost deer until the past 2 years. They have now went back to fixed blades and they have all put deer down these past 2 weeks. It is just like my friends have said the big wide cutting mech heads do fine on perfect shot but that is about it. They tried them they worked but they have better results out of the heavier arrows and fixed blades. This is coming from about ten guy's that do nothing but bow hunt.
Just curious... Why did they switch when the broadheads they were using were working?

I lost one last year. It was 100% my fault. I rushed the shot. I knew better but I did it anyway. I did find him 10 days later when it was to late. But I recovered the antlers atleast. This year, well sadly enough I have not let an arrow fly. So nope I have not lost one this year.

So since shooting a bow and arrow at a solid object has nothing to do with physics I'll retract my last statement. :head:

Thank you for reminding me that I will never kill half as many deer as you.

I now also understand that for me to talk with you about killing deer, it first requires me to reach your super eliteness deer slayage milestone first. Forgive me sir, I overstepped my boundaries......
not sayint that at all . what Im telling you is that I know for a fact Ive killed lots more deer than you have with archery equipment, and Ive used and tested a WHOLE LOT OF PRODUCTS . .I havnt sat behind a computer reading reviews and base my experience off of that and that alone . .I use fixed blade cut on contact heads also . . I kill deer with both . .Im not sure what point you are trying to prove? I'll take experience in the woods anyday over what reviews and hearsay on the internet says . . jus sayin its obvious that a coc fixed head should penetrate better, but to say they will kill one better or better your odds for hunting I have to disagree . thats my only point here . .to each his own I guess . .you hunt with what you want and I will do the same .your welcome to come see my wall if you like, and I can show you a drawer full of heads that have killed deer, and give you there stories to??

I haven't lost any deer this year. I did lose a hog but I shot it in the shoulder with an old g5 montec. And my shots haven't been great this year I shot a doe in the liver but with the rage's and the Mathews she didn't go but 40 yards. :biggrin:

21 - 40 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.