Lost Deer - Yes / No and Why?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by pruitt76, Dec 15, 2010.

Have you lost a deer this season with archery equipment?

1. Yes - My fault - Poor shot

24.4%
  2. Yes - Equipment failure

0.6%
  3. Yes - I don't know what happened

8.1%
  4. No - I have not lost a deer

66.9%
  1. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

2. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

Are you trying to do a poll or what? :head:

3. pruitt76

Yes... Sorry for all the confusion.

4. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

Looks like you finally got it. :thumb:

5. pruitt76

Yes, I got it. I was having one of those special moments. :smack:

6. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

Deer

I have killed over 60 plus with a bow and probably another 30 plus with a gun
    Lost 3 with a bow gut shot - and 0 with a gun - I have nicked a few with a bow that survived.

Why - most being young not waiting for a broad side shot - shooting fingers back in the day and arrow falling off the rest etc - Older and wiser but have still missed a few including a couple this year - If you havent lost one with a bow you havent shot at many or your not being honest

7. BullDog

BullDog Well-Known Member

I have killed 3 deer and a yote this year and missed one shot right under so no I have not lost a deer do to being shot and not found this year. I hope it stays that way.

8. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

YES....I have lost one this year. Looked to be a good shot with a complete pass through. Spent probably 30 man hours looking for it, couldn't find. So....I don't know what the :censored: happened.

9. pruitt76

I shot one in the backstraps this year. :smack: I guess I was hungry that day. :up: He's alive and well and still feeding in the same area.

10. Bowman

Bowman Well-Known Member

NEA
    Rushed the shot...

11. AR_deerslayer

AR_deerslayer Well-Known Member

its 98% hunter error if you lose one . either lousy tacking, bad shot placement, bad shot timing . .its almost never the broadhead, or arrows fault . . .thats a fact! I think most hardcore bowhunters have lost deer, I have , not this year ,but in the past .

12. BullDog

This may be true but all good bow hunter know shots are not always going to be perfect. lots goes in to play when you pull back on a deer a big buck will get anybody shaking. I will agree with SC set you bow and arrow up for the not so perfect shot and your chances are a lot better. Set ups do cause lots of lost deer also becuase not every shot can be perfect.

13. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Shot three so far this year and have not lost one. Had two that the shot placement was not so perfect on - but the equipment provided the best blood trail possible under those circumstances, and I had enough experience to know to back the heck out and give some time.

14. gotyacovered

gotyacovered Well-Known Member

i lost one that was quatered away hard... i hit him to far forward. it did however pass thru. i jumped the deer the next day and saw the wounds. i acknowledge it was a bad shot, but i switched broad heads hoping to get more damage/bigger cut. i wonder if i had another inch of cutting diameter if i would be waiting on a $650 dollar bill from my taxidermist. it was a bigun, shot it in kansas.

15. AR_deerslayer

I shoot rage broadheads . . .Ill bet I have more penetration than most folks here with my set up . .Im shootin fast, and hard , and a very heavy arrow . .I also shoot montecs, and tekan II's, . .all of my hunting bows are set up proper and tuned to the max, I know shots arent always perfect, I have killed many deer with a bow . Ive lost a few and they were all my fault, not a BROADHEAD . .

16. AR_deerslayer

if the shots not so good DONT take it . .I wont . .if more hunters practiced taking there time and waiting for a good shot, instead of rushing . would make for less lost deer

17. BullDog

How do you know if the deer is going to step or drop the string or if you are going to hit a twig or jerk the trigger a little at the time of the shot. The deer could be 20yrds and broadside, any of those thing could happen so are you saying you are not going to shoot deer anymore.

18. AR_deerslayer

thats a no brainer . Im talking about . when you hear of guys shooting at a huge buck because hes fixin to get out of range and is a t 42 yards walking away . . or similar stories, .shooting at deer walking fast or trotting, or facing you . . Not trying to argue jus saying its usually hunter error at losing deer . not a broadhead

19. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

Lost one when I was younger w/ my 30-30 trying to shoot the body of it in brush. Should've taken a neck shot or tried to wait. In my defense, I was young, it was almost dark, and I haven't lost one since.

20. dsmtuner1

dsmtuner1 Well-Known Member

One of many "no brainers" you speak of has been drilled into everyones skull here more times than you've shot a bow!!!! We know shot placement is everything, we know making good shot placement comes with practice and patience at a calm, close, non moving target, we also know theres the X factor and always will be an X factor whether we like it or not. Thats where the broadhead argument comes in and thats where the only obvious conclusion will always be COC fixed blade + heavy arrows properly tuned for your rig. Everyone knows a rage can kill a deer, everyone knows a stinking field tip could kill a deer with proper shot placement and noone! is ever arguing that concept.

Put it this way, if you shoot 20 deer with your bow in your lifetime and 19 were perfect shots and 1 stepped back as you released and you hit it forward in the shoulder blade. All we are saying is, "whether you like it or not", a fixed blade, heavy arrow tuned properly will penetrate better 100% of the time. Can a rage possibly break a shoulder and kill a deer? sure why not? Does it have a better chance to do it then a fixed blade COC broadhead? don't think so. Not even RAGE can beat physics.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010