Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man finds his dad's Garand from his service in Korea and gives it to him:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,425678,00.html

I remember my Korea-era Marine veteran dad telling me he still had the serial number of his Garand memorized, as well as his service serial number. If I'd only thought to go looking for it! Oh well, the odds on finding it are only about one in 7 million! :smack:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
I'd love to find my M14 Sniper Rifle! I knew the serial number but the bug doctor says I have blocked out a part of my memory....even some stuff not associated with service!:head:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After the armistice those things were apparently scattered all around South Korea. As the article mentioned, they didn't start coming back to the states until the late 80's and early 90's after the S. Koreans finally decided to liquidate their long-retired Garands. Maybe they used them in their nat'l guard units like we did....

Anyway, I think dad ordered around 20 Garands being returned to the states from a company called "Blue Sky" imports, of all things. This "Blue Sky" company name was stamped on the barrel of each Garand, and they're easy to spot unless they've since been re-barreled. I guess the guy doing the stamping had a sense of mercy; when he stamped my 6-digit serial numbered, Sept. of '42 production Garand, he sorta "slipped" and the resulting import stamp ended up being just a few scratches. I've still got that one in the safe. Lets just say as long as I've got a gun safe, it'll have a place to park.

To my knowledge, dad never wrote down the serial number of "his" Garand. I know for a fact he was looking for it as he logged new arrivals into his books. What I'd give to know that number today.

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
All this Garand talk made me decide to give mine run this morning. Ran a few clips through it. 150 grain Rem Cor-Lokt's over 47.0 grains of H4895 gives right at 2700 FPS at 10" from the muzzle. This thing is heavy enough that the recoil doesn't bother you, even in an extended shooting session.

This is an old Garand that the CMP was running for $295 a couple of years ago. Fill out the paperwork, mail it in to the CMP and you'll have a rifle on your doorstep in a month or so.

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
It's a new replacement from Fajen. This rifle had the original wood stock on it, but it was in terrible shape. The rifle was $295, the stock was ~$150 and a few small extras. I have ~$500 total in the rifle. I could have gone with the original walnut, but I liked the look of the laminate.

According to the SN range, it is a 1944 model.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.